    as a client if that will work.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: ftp with ssh

    On 2005-11-20, asdf wrote:
    > I use a linux box that I can connect to to tunnel trafic to a PC that I
    > can't normally connect to.
    >
    > On that pc (WinXp) I am running windows ftp server. But because of the new
    > port opening that is done during normal ftp transfers I can't connect. Is
    > there any ftp or like server I can install to get around this? I have WinSCP
    > as a client if that will work.

    Here's a few options, in approximate order of difficulty:

    a) some SSH clients understand enough of the FTP protocol to forward the
    required ports. OpenSSH doesn't, nor (I think) PuTTY. I think Tectia
    does, not sure about others.

    b) If your FTP client and server support passive mode, and your FTP
    client support SOCKS (or can be SOCKSified), then you can use a SSH
    client with "Dynamic" port forwarding to port forward FTP. This will
    work with OpenSSH and PuTTY and probably some others.

    c) You can forward SMB-over-TCP over SSH if you're careful, and thus you
    can attach to SMB file shares over SSH. I think there are some messages
    in the archive for this group with the details.

    d) you could install an SSH server on the Windows box, then use a 2-hop
    SSH connection and sftp/scp/whatever.

    e) you could use either smbclient or smbmount on the Linux box to either
    transfer files to/from the Windows box, or mount a file share on the
    Linux box.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: ftp with ssh

    "Darren Tucker" wrote in message
    > On 2005-11-20, asdf wrote:
    >> I use a linux box that I can connect to to tunnel trafic to a PC that I
    >> can't normally connect to.
    >>
    >> On that pc (WinXp) I am running windows ftp server. But because of the
    >> new
    >> port opening that is done during normal ftp transfers I can't connect. Is
    >> there any ftp or like server I can install to get around this? I have
    >> WinSCP
    >> as a client if that will work.

    > Here's a few options, in approximate order of difficulty:
    >
    > a) some SSH clients understand enough of the FTP protocol to forward the
    > required ports. OpenSSH doesn't, nor (I think) PuTTY. I think Tectia
    > does, not sure about others.
    >
    > b) If your FTP client and server support passive mode, and your FTP
    > client support SOCKS (or can be SOCKSified), then you can use a SSH
    > client with "Dynamic" port forwarding to port forward FTP. This will
    > work with OpenSSH and PuTTY and probably some others.
    >
    > c) You can forward SMB-over-TCP over SSH if you're careful, and thus you
    > can attach to SMB file shares over SSH. I think there are some messages
    > in the archive for this group with the details.
    >
    > d) you could install an SSH server on the Windows box, then use a 2-hop
    > SSH connection and sftp/scp/whatever.
    >
    > e) you could use either smbclient or smbmount on the Linux box to either
    > transfer files to/from the Windows box, or mount a file share on the
    > Linux box.
    >
    > --
    > Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    > GPG key 8FF4FA69 / D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4 37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69
    > Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience
    > usually comes from bad judgement.

    Thank you! I have some great leads now!

+ Reply to Thread