    password cache? I use OpenSSH.

    Sascha

  2. Re: SSH Password Authentication

    On 2005-11-18, Sascha Kaddatz wrote:
    > I logged in from SUSE 9.3 Server via my shell to a UNIX Backup Server.
    > The authentication method is with a password. After the first login, I
    > never was asked again for the password on the UNIX Backup Server. The
    > log in worked without any authentication!! Is there something like a
    > password cache? I use OpenSSH.

    Not as such, no. There are however several authentication methods which
    will allow you access without asking you for a password. You can see which
    is being used by using the "-v" option to ssh.

    It's also possible to misconfigure your system such that no authentication
    is required (eg by messing with the PAM config files, or setting an
    empty password and enabling PermitEmptyPasswords in sshd_config).

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: SSH Password Authentication

    Sascha Kaddatz (05-11-18 11:47:10):

    > I logged in from SUSE 9.3 Server via my shell to a UNIX Backup Server.
    > The authentication method is with a password. After the first login, I
    > never was asked again for the password on the UNIX Backup Server. The
    > log in worked without any authentication!! Is there something like a
    > password cache? I use OpenSSH.

    Host-based authentication might be the problem. Maybe it's activated,
    so the backup server remembers your hostname and lets you in without
    password authentication.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread