ssh server for Win98 - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh server for Win98 - SSH ; Hi, I've tried to use cygwin and sshd demon under Win98. But it seems to doesn't run under this OS. I got error like this 'OpenSCManager: Win32 error 120'. That function doesn't run under this operating system. I don't know, ...

  1. ssh server for Win98

    Hi,
    I've tried to use cygwin and sshd demon under Win98. But it seems to doesn't
    run under this OS. I got error like this 'OpenSCManager: Win32 error 120'.
    That function doesn't run under this operating system.

    I don't know, does openssh work with Win98?
    Is there another (free) server shh wchich work with Win98?

    Thanks for any help
    SJ

  2. Re: ssh server for Win98

    "SJ" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've tried to use cygwin and sshd demon under Win98. But it seems to
    > doesn't
    > run under this OS. I got error like this 'OpenSCManager: Win32 error 120'.
    > That function doesn't run under this operating system.
    >
    > I don't know, does openssh work with Win98?
    > Is there another (free) server shh wchich work with Win98?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > SJ

    Why are you running Win98? That OS is old, and very deprecated, and has
    become a nightmare to maintain. Can you upgrade your way out of the problem
    easily?

  3. Re: ssh server for Win98

    My business partners use those operating systems.
    I realize that os is old but they don't want to change it.
    So, that's why I'm asking.
    regards
    Użytkownik "Nico Kadel-Garcia" napisał w wiadomości

    > "SJ" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I've tried to use cygwin and sshd demon under Win98. But it seems to
    > > doesn't
    > > run under this OS. I got error like this 'OpenSCManager: Win32 error

    120'.
    > > That function doesn't run under this operating system.
    > >
    > > I don't know, does openssh work with Win98?
    > > Is there another (free) server shh wchich work with Win98?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > SJ

    > Why are you running Win98? That OS is old, and very deprecated, and has
    > become a nightmare to maintain. Can you upgrade your way out of the

    problem
    > easily?

  4. Re: ssh server for Win98

    SJ wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've tried to use cygwin and sshd demon under Win98. But it seems to doesn't
    > run under this OS. I got error like this 'OpenSCManager: Win32 error 120'.
    > That function doesn't run under this operating system.

    Hmm. I used to run it all the time under ME. 98 and ME are pretty
    similar.

    How are you running it? You can't run it as a service, but it should
    start as a batch file well.

    Here's an old post of mine about the batch file I used to launch it...

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  5. Re: ssh server for Win98

    Thanks for help.
    I did all you sad and it seems to be fine. But I have another question.
    How can I logg into to the system. I mean I don't know user name and passwod
    which can I use in putty (for example)?

    sj

    Użytkownik "Darren Dunham" napisał w wiadomości
    news:Qusff.22713$dO2.10433@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
    > SJ wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I've tried to use cygwin and sshd demon under Win98. But it seems to

    doesn't
    > > run under this OS. I got error like this 'OpenSCManager: Win32 error

    120'.
    > > That function doesn't run under this operating system.

    > Hmm. I used to run it all the time under ME. 98 and ME are pretty
    > similar.
    >
    > How are you running it? You can't run it as a service, but it should
    > start as a batch file well.
    >
    > Here's an old post of mine about the batch file I used to launch it...

    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp....hread/8da34f73
    bd026e74/04b7ca5121068ae5#04b7ca5121068ae5>

    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

  6. Re: ssh server for Win98

    "SJ" wrote in message
    > Thanks for help.
    > I did all you sad and it seems to be fine. But I have another question.
    > How can I logg into to the system. I mean I don't know user name and
    > passwod
    > which can I use in putty (for example)?

    Start a Cygwin shell session, and look at the contents of the file
    /etc/passwd. That lists the existing users the machine knows about. You can
    also use the commands "mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" to create new /etc/passwd and
    new /etc/group files if you have a local domain in a Windows NT based
    system. I haven't tried them n a workgroup based system like Win9x.

  7. Re: ssh server for Win98

    > "SJ" wrote in message
    > > Thanks for help.
    > > I did all you sad and it seems to be fine. But I have another question.
    > > How can I logg into to the system. I mean I don't know user name and
    > > passwod
    > > which can I use in putty (for example)?

    > Start a Cygwin shell session, and look at the contents of the file
    > /etc/passwd. That lists the existing users the machine knows about. You

    can
    > also use the commands "mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" to create new /etc/passwd

    and
    > new /etc/group files if you have a local domain in a Windows NT based
    > system. I haven't tried them n a workgroup based system like Win9x.

    That's the point. I need to manage user's account on system like Win9x

    Beside, I use 'AllowUsers' section in sshd_config file. I can't connect user
    which I typed in that section (user exist in the system WinXp)

    regards

  8. Re: ssh server for Win98

    Użytkownik "SJ" napisał w wiadomości
    > Użytkownik "Nico Kadel-Garcia" napisał w wiadomości
    > >
    > > "SJ" wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for help.
    > > > I did all you sad and it seems to be fine. But I have another

    question.
    > > > How can I logg into to the system. I mean I don't know user name and
    > > > passwod
    > > > which can I use in putty (for example)?

    > > Start a Cygwin shell session, and look at the contents of the file
    > > /etc/passwd. That lists the existing users the machine knows about. You

    > can
    > > also use the commands "mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" to create new /etc/passwd

    > and
    > > new /etc/group files if you have a local domain in a Windows NT based
    > > system. I haven't tried them n a workgroup based system like Win9x.
    > >

    > That's the point. I need to manage user's account on system like Win9x
    >
    > Beside, I use 'AllowUsers' section in sshd_config file. I can't connect

    user
    > which I typed in that section (user exist in the system WinXp)
    >
    > regards

    I did this.
    You should use 'crypt password' command and replace second place in passwd
    crypted password

    regards

+ Reply to Thread