FTP works but SSH does not - SSH

This is a discussion on FTP works but SSH does not - SSH ; Hi, I could 'command line ftp' to a private server (ftp.XXXX.com) but I cant SSH to the same. Does this mean that ftp.XXXX.com does not support SSH? I'm using default port 22 for SSH and OS is WinXP pro.Any clue ...

  1. FTP works but SSH does not

    Hi,
    I could 'command line ftp' to a private server (ftp.XXXX.com) but I
    cant SSH to the same. Does this mean that ftp.XXXX.com does not support
    SSH? I'm using default port 22 for SSH and OS is WinXP pro.Any clue of
    whats going on?
    Thank you.
    KK

  2. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    It depends what the error message is. If you see something like
    "connection refused" then the server isn't running ssh. If it's an
    authentication error then either you're getting the username and
    password wrong or you're not supposed to be sshing into the machine.

    HTH,

    ~Ed

  3. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    the error message is "the host 'ftp.XXXX.com' is unreachable. the host
    may be down ... sometimes such problems can be caused by misconfigured
    firewall"

    As I cud connect thru ftp, the host cant be down. I tried to disable
    firewall in vain. The SSH help suggests the following
    "Check that you have defined the correct port number for the
    connection. The port can be changed on the Connection page of the
    Settings dialog."
    I dont know how to play with these port numbers. Is there any good
    reference out there that explains about port numbers in this context?
    Btw, I'm using port 22 here.
    if i've to change port number wut are my options?

    Thank you.
    KK

  4. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    Just for the archives, the whole point of using SSH over ftp is to have
    a GUI interface to copy directories/files. WS_FTP turned out to be a
    good alternative to SSH.

  5. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    wrote in message
    news:1132252899.992696.189920@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > the error message is "the host 'ftp.XXXX.com' is unreachable. the host
    > may be down ... sometimes such problems can be caused by misconfigured
    > firewall"
    >
    > As I cud connect thru ftp, the host cant be down. I tried to disable
    > firewall in vain. The SSH help suggests the following
    > "Check that you have defined the correct port number for the
    > connection. The port can be changed on the Connection page of the
    > Settings dialog."
    > I dont know how to play with these port numbers. Is there any good
    > reference out there that explains about port numbers in this context?
    > Btw, I'm using port 22 here.
    > if i've to change port number wut are my options?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > KK

    That error message sounds like one Microsoft would issue - really
    verbose but not very precise. But since Windows doesn't supply an ssh
    client, it can't be that. What ssh client are you using?

    If by 'unreachable' that message means the errno ENETUNREACH or
    EHOSTUNREACH, then you have a routing problem. I doubt that message is
    that precise, though.

    If you have access to another ssh client, try that. You may get better
    diagnostics from a different client.

    Or if you have access to a UNIX machine, try connecting to the ssh port
    on that server using telnet (ie, 'telnet ftp.XXXX.com 22'). Every UNIX
    version of telnet I have ever used gave good error messages that you
    can tie back to a specific socket error number. You can tell a lot
    from those errnos. Don't use the Windows telnet. It has lousy error
    messages.

    PS - If you happen to get connected, with telnet just type the telnet
    escape character to disconnect.

    --
    Tom Einertson E-mail: tome@siemens-emis.com
    SIEMENS Power Transmission & Distribution Phone: (952) 607-2244

  6. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    TE> If by 'unreachable' that message means the errno ENETUNREACH or
    TE> EHOSTUNREACH, then you have a routing problem.

    Since he can FTP to the same host, there is no routing problem. More
    likely there is a firewall issuing ICMP unreachable messages in response
    to the connection attempt. Or perhaps just dropping the syn packets and
    timing out.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  7. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    I agree that it is probably not a routing problem, and it may well be a
    firewall problem, although the firewalls I have encountered send an RST
    to reject a connection, not an ICMP unreachable. I suppose not all
    work the same, though.

    But if the original poster is still trying to solve the problem, I
    still recommend using telnet on a UNIX server as a probe to find out
    more about why it isn't working. Right now he has an error message
    that appears to tell him nothing more than "it didn't work". It would
    be nice to have a little more to go on than that.

    --

    "Richard E. Silverman" wrote in message

    > TE> If by 'unreachable' that message means the errno ENETUNREACH or
    > TE> EHOSTUNREACH, then you have a routing problem.
    >
    > Since he can FTP to the same host, there is no routing problem. More
    > likely there is a firewall issuing ICMP unreachable messages in response
    > to the connection attempt. Or perhaps just dropping the syn packets and
    > timing out.
    >
    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

  8. Re: FTP works but SSH does not

    TE> I agree that it is probably not a routing problem, and it may well
    TE> be a firewall problem, although the firewalls I have encountered
    TE> send an RST to reject a connection, not an ICMP unreachable. I
    TE> suppose not all work the same, though.

    Exactly so; in fact, most default to just silently dropping packets or
    sending ICMP messages, with forged RST's as an option.

    TE> But if the original poster is still trying to solve the problem, I
    TE> still recommend using telnet on a UNIX server as a probe to find
    TE> out more about why it isn't working. Right now he has an error
    TE> message that appears to tell him nothing more than "it didn't
    TE> work". It would be nice to have a little more to go on than that.

    Agreed, though it would be more to simply capture the network traffic and
    see what's going on.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net