Different SSH binary for specific host - SSH

This is a discussion on Different SSH binary for specific host - SSH ; I have a specific host that I connect to that uses a totally different ssh version than the normal one that I use. I would like to see if it is possible to setup the normal ssh to call the ...

  1. Different SSH binary for specific host

    I have a specific host that I connect to that uses a totally different
    ssh version than the normal one that I use. I would like to see if it
    is possible to setup the normal ssh to call the correct ssh then the
    time comes. I tried to use the ProxyCommand with no win since I am
    having a hard time with the netcat command and the such. Can anybody
    here give me a hand to set this up. I was hopeing that it would be as
    easy as:

    Host: *.funnydomain.com

    ProxyCommand: /usr/bin/fssh %h %p

    Where /usr/bin/fssh is a quick shell script to call the right binary
    pointing to the right config file.

    Thanks in advance.

    Justace

  2. Re: Different SSH binary for specific host

    JustaceC@gmail.com writes:

    >I have a specific host that I connect to that uses a totally different
    >ssh version than the normal one that I use. I would like to see if it
    >is possible to setup the normal ssh to call the correct ssh then the
    >time comes. I tried to use the ProxyCommand with no win since I am
    >having a hard time with the netcat command and the such. Can anybody
    >here give me a hand to set this up. I was hopeing that it would be as
    >easy as:

    So why do you not just have that host run the regular ssh binary? Or have
    the admin on that machine do so? You cannot run the sshd daemon since it
    has to have root priviledges to log you on. Otherwise all machines would be
    totally open to anyone.

    >Host: *.funnydomain.com

    > ProxyCommand: /usr/bin/fssh %h %p

    >Where /usr/bin/fssh is a quick shell script to call the right binary
    >pointing to the right config file.

    >Thanks in advance.

    >Justace

  3. Re: Different SSH binary for specific host

    JC> I have a specific host that I connect to that uses a totally
    JC> different ssh version than the normal one that I use. I would
    JC> like to see if it is possible to setup the normal ssh to call the
    JC> correct ssh then the time comes. I tried to use the ProxyCommand
    JC> with no win since I am having a hard time with the netcat command
    JC> and the such. Can anybody here give me a hand to set this up. I
    JC> was hopeing that it would be as easy as:

    JC> Host: *.funnydomain.com

    JC> ProxyCommand: /usr/bin/fssh %h %p

    JC> Where /usr/bin/fssh is a quick shell script to call the right
    JC> binary pointing to the right config file.

    ProxyCommand does not do what you want. It is the program ssh calls, in a
    subprocess, to talk to the SSH server. By the time it's called, you're
    already running the wrong SSH client.

    Why not just use your fssh script directly?

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread