ssh hangs on HPUX 10.20 when sending commands - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh hangs on HPUX 10.20 when sending commands - SSH ; Hi, I'm using HPUX 10.20 and OpenSSH 3.6.1p1. If I try something as simple as ssh user@host ls ssh hangs before I get any output no matter how often I try. If I run ssh in debug mode, the first ...

  1. ssh hangs on HPUX 10.20 when sending commands

    Hi,
    I'm using HPUX 10.20 and OpenSSH 3.6.1p1. If I try something as
    simple as

    ssh user@host ls

    ssh hangs before I get any output no matter how often I try. If I run
    ssh in debug mode, the first time I do so in a new terminal, ssh also
    hangs here:

    debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
    debug3: ssh_session2_open: channel_new: 0
    debug2: channel 0: send open
    debug1: Entering interactive session.
    debug2: callback start
    debug2: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
    debug1: Sending command: ls
    debug1: channel 0: request exec
    debug2: callback done
    debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768

    Every subsequent attempt at using ssh with debug output in that
    terminal succeeds. However, if I try a new terminal, ssh with debug
    output freezes that first time, and works subsequently. I want to be
    able to use ssh in a script and feel silly having to prime ssh. Does
    anyone know if its possible to overcome this problem?

    Thanks,

    Jason Mazzotta

  2. Re: ssh hangs on HPUX 10.20 when sending commands

    jazzdman@gmail.com writes:
    > Hi,
    > I'm using HPUX 10.20 and OpenSSH 3.6.1p1. If I try something as
    > simple as
    >
    > ssh user@host ls
    >
    > ssh hangs before I get any output no matter how often I try. If I run
    > ssh in debug mode, the first time I do so in a new terminal, ssh also
    > hangs here:

    I haven't encountered this before, but one thing that comes to mind is
    to check .profile, and .kshrc or shell init scripts for command that
    perhaps falsely assume an interactive login and cause this
    non-interactive login to be squirrely.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: ssh hangs on HPUX 10.20 when sending commands

    Hi Todd,
    I think the problem is with the HPUX client. I can manage to
    get the ssh session to hang just by changing the size of the terminal
    window. If the terminal window is small, the debug mode works alright.
    If the terminal is full-screen, even debug mode doesn't work. I did
    check the rc files I can find and they don't do much but set alias's
    and environmental variables. I should think that if a config file was
    causing things to hang, it would do so whenever I tried to simply log
    in, a process which does work.

    Jason Mazzotta

  4. Re: ssh hangs on HPUX 10.20 when sending commands

    I figured out what the problem was. I was initially have
    authentication problems because the permissions on my authorized_keys,
    the directory it resides in, and the parent directory of that directory
    did not have proper permissions. In an effort to figure that problem
    out, I had enabled DEBUG3 error reporting in sshd. In order to see
    that information in /var/log/messages, I had to allow it in
    /etc/syslog.conf. Once I had figured out the permission problem, I
    reintroduced the output restriction in syslog.conf but didn't return
    the output level in sshd to INFO. Once I reset the logging level for
    sshd back to INFO, I could ssh normally again.

+ Reply to Thread