ssh as socks proxy - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh as socks proxy - SSH ; Hello, in the last few days i learned basically to use ssh. Now, the following problem arises: I have a Desktop and a Laptop. I wanted to use ssh as a socks proxy and tried the following: laptop> ssh -D ...

  1. ssh as socks proxy

    Hello,

    in the last few days i learned basically to use ssh. Now, the following
    problem arises: I have a Desktop and a Laptop. I wanted to use ssh as a
    socks proxy and tried the following:

    laptop> ssh -D 9080 user@desktop

    (of course, user is a valid user at the desktop)
    then, i configured the laptop-browser to use

    localhost:9080

    as http-proxy server. I thought, i would be able, to surf on the laptop via
    the ssh connection over the desktop to the internet. But typing an address
    like

    www.google.de

    in the laptop browser, simply nothing happens. Maby, this is a problem of
    the socks version (4 or 5), that is implemented on my laptop. Nevertheless,
    when i close the ssh connection, i get an error message from the
    laptop-browser, because the proxy server can not be found.

    My questions are
    1) is this principally the right way?
    2) where can i find more information?
    3) where can i find error messages or other information about what is
    happenig at the ssh connection. (I find nothing about this ssh session in
    the /var/log/messages)

    Thank you for any information
    Wolfgang

  2. Re: ssh as socks proxy

    Wolfgang Meiners writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > in the last few days i learned basically to use ssh. Now, the following
    > problem arises: I have a Desktop and a Laptop. I wanted to use ssh as a
    > socks proxy and tried the following:
    >
    > laptop> ssh -D 9080 user@desktop
    >
    > (of course, user is a valid user at the desktop)
    > then, i configured the laptop-browser to use
    >
    > localhost:9080
    >
    > as http-proxy server. I thought, i would be able, to surf on the laptop via
    > the ssh connection over the desktop to the internet. But typing an address
    > like
    >
    > www.google.de
    >
    > in the laptop browser, simply nothing happens.

    Two things:
    you're setting http proxy, and you want to be setting SOCKS
    proxy in your browser.

    Try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost to head off a possible
    braind deadness of the OS in question.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: ssh as socks proxy

    Todd H. wrote:

    > Wolfgang Meiners writes:
    >>
    >> laptop> ssh -D 9080 user@desktop
    >>
    >> (of course, user is a valid user at the desktop)
    >> then, i configured the laptop-browser to use
    >>
    >> localhost:9080
    >>
    >> as http-proxy server. I thought, i would be able, to surf on the laptop
    >> via the ssh connection over the desktop to the internet. But typing an
    >> address like
    >>
    >> www.google.de
    >>
    >> in the laptop browser, simply nothing happens.

    > Two things:
    > you're setting http proxy, and you want to be setting SOCKS
    > proxy in your browser.
    >
    > Try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost to head off a possible
    > braind deadness of the OS in question.

    That works. Thank you
    Wolfgang

  4. Re: ssh as socks proxy

    To set-up a SOCKS5 proxy on port 5555 simply run:

    ssh -D 5555 user@ip_or_hostname

    this will create a a tunnel to the server - SOCKS5 proxy on port 5555 of your computer. Now all you have to do is set the preference in Firefox to use a SOCKS proxy. The proxy is localhost, with the port 5555.
    To make Firefox do DNS lookups through the remote server simply set via about:config

    Taken from here:
    http://www.sysadmin.md/secure-tunnel...ks5-proxy.html
    We will take care of your servers!

    Server Support Company