ssh to remote computer with only a local ip address, and no access tothe router? - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh to remote computer with only a local ip address, and no access tothe router? - SSH ; I want to ssh into my home desktop from outside my home network. Is there any way to do this? I used to do this by getting an ip address and host name and using port forwarding on the router, ...

  1. ssh to remote computer with only a local ip address, and no access tothe router?

    I want to ssh into my home desktop from outside my home network. Is
    there any way to do this? I used to do this by getting an ip address
    and host name and using port forwarding on the router, but now I don't
    have access to the router.

    Is this possible? Ultimately, I'm trying to access an svn repository.
    Are there other ways of doing this? I'm not sure how foldershare
    works, but something like that (but for svn) would be fine as long as
    it's free (I know I can just pay for space on a server).

  2. Re: ssh to remote computer with only a local ip address, and no access to the router?

    jonderry> I want to ssh into my home desktop from outside my home
    jonderry> network. Is there any way to do this? I used to do this by
    jonderry> getting an ip address and host name and using port
    jonderry> forwarding on the router, but now I don't have access to the
    jonderry> router.

    jonderry> Is this possible? Ultimately, I'm trying to access an svn
    jonderry> repository. Are there other ways of doing this? I'm not
    jonderry> sure how foldershare works, but something like that (but for
    jonderry> svn) would be fine as long as it's free (I know I can just
    jonderry> pay for space on a server).

    Since you can't make a TCP connection into your network, you have to have
    some indirection. If you have an external machine you can SSH into, you
    can use port forwarding, e.g.

    internal host I
    external host E
    source host S

    I$ ssh -g -R 1234:localhost:22 E

    S$ ssh -p 1234 E

    In fact, the first command could be replaced with anything that does port
    forwarding, since the second connection is secured via SSH -- but ssh
    itself is a convenient choice.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: ssh to remote computer with only a local ip address, and no access tothe router?

    i'm not really good at this one but probably this people can help (supportrix.com) i've been calling them for any computer related concern for quite sometime now and luckily they're able to help me fix my problems... might wanna give them a try...

  4. Re: ssh to remote computer with only a local ip address, and no access tothe router?

    Probably this is a late reply. I suggest using dyndns.com would help. Then you can setup a domain name for your server(limited numbers) free of cost on dyndns. Use that name for ssh

+ Reply to Thread