ClientAliveInterval non-zero; what msgs are sent and expected - SSH

This is a discussion on ClientAliveInterval non-zero; what msgs are sent and expected - SSH ; With ClientAliveInterval set to a non-zero value, openSSH server will send messages to an idle client and expect a response (according to the specs). What, exactly are these messages? The SSH client that I'm using does not seem to reply ...

  1. ClientAliveInterval non-zero; what msgs are sent and expected

    With ClientAliveInterval set to a non-zero value, openSSH server will
    send messages to an idle client and expect a response (according to
    the specs). What, exactly are these messages? The SSH client that
    I'm using does not seem to reply to this at all.

    Thanks, Rich

  2. Re: ClientAliveInterval non-zero; what msgs are sent and expected

    rich02818> With ClientAliveInterval set to a non-zero value, openSSH
    rich02818> server will send messages to an idle client and expect a
    rich02818> response (according to the specs). What, exactly are these
    rich02818> messages? The SSH client that I'm using does not seem to
    rich02818> reply to this at all.

    It sends a channel request of type keepalive@openssh.com, with "want
    reply" set, on channel 0 (normally the shell channel). I don't think not
    replying is an option -- the SSH-CONN RFC says that the receiver should
    reply with success or failure, even if the request is not supported or
    recognized. This seems like a bug. What client are you using?

    rich02818> Thanks, Rich

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net