SSHD on non-privileged port : security risks ? - SSH

This is a discussion on SSHD on non-privileged port : security risks ? - SSH ; Hi all, Our Unix team as started an sshd deamond on an unprivilege port. Can be a security risk ? Thank you for comments....

  1. SSHD on non-privileged port : security risks ?

    Hi all,
    Our Unix team as started an sshd deamond on an unprivilege port.
    Can be a security risk ?

    Thank you for comments.

  2. Re: SSHD on non-privileged port : security risks ?

    kona wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Our Unix team as started an sshd deamond on an unprivilege port.
    > Can be a security risk ?
    >
    > Thank you for comments.

    Well, that's kind of a silly question. It's like saying 'I wear a seatbelt: is
    that a risk?"

    You've enabled a service over which people can log in and transfer files,
    depending on your ocnfiguraiton. Are they people you trust to behave sensibly?
    Or will they run havoc with every privilege than can scrape up and try to
    cause destruction? Can you actually trust them to keep their passwords away
    from other people? Is your sshd daemon up-to-date and properly configured?

    And why are you asking *now*? Do you need to use it for something? SSH, for
    example, is a huge security improvement over rsh and telnet and FTP.

+ Reply to Thread