PSFTP gives error error while reading: received a short buffer fromFXP_READ, but not at EOF - SSH

This is a discussion on PSFTP gives error error while reading: received a short buffer fromFXP_READ, but not at EOF - SSH ; When i try to get a image using a PSFTP i get the following error : error while reading: received a short buffer from FXP_READ, but not at EOF Do i have any workaround. Can i do something in server ...

  1. PSFTP gives error error while reading: received a short buffer fromFXP_READ, but not at EOF

    When i try to get a image using a PSFTP i get the following error :
    error while reading: received a short buffer from FXP_READ, but not at
    EOF

    Do i have any workaround. Can i do something in server code or server
    configuration to resolve this issue. Or is this a PSFTP issue which
    has nothing to do with the server part.

  2. Re: PSFTP gives error error while reading: received a short buffer fromFXP_READ, but not at EOF

    varma wrote:
    > When i try to get a image using a PSFTP i get the following error :
    > error while reading: received a short buffer from FXP_READ, but not at
    > EOF

    That's interesting. What server software and OS is this happening
    on? And what's the nature of the file you're trying to transfer: is
    it some sort of special device node, or an ordinary disk file?

    > Or is this a PSFTP issue which has nothing to do with the server
    > part.

    The SFTP specification says that reads of normal files must return a
    full buffer except when EOF occurs, which is why PSFTP treats that
    condition as an error. It might be possible to work around it, but
    I'd be reluctant to go to the effort when really the server ought to
    be the one making the effort to fix the problem.
    --
    Simon Tatham "Happiness is having a large, warm, loving,
    caring, close-knit family in another city."

  3. Re: PSFTP gives error error while reading: received a short buffer from FXP_READ, but not at EOF

    >varma wrote:
    >> When i try to get a image using a PSFTP i get the following error :
    >> error while reading: received a short buffer from FXP_READ, but not at
    >> EOF

    Could this be
    ?

    Is this a VMS server?

    Simon Tatham writes:
    >The SFTP specification says that reads of normal files must return a
    >full buffer except when EOF occurs, which is why PSFTP treats that
    >condition as an error.

    Unfortunately, last time I dug into this I concluded that the spec was
    written such that this "guarantee" can't be relied upon. (I posted about
    this to ietf-ssh on 2005-Apr-01, apparently.)

+ Reply to Thread