free/cheap Windows SSH client that supports login scripts? - SSH

This is a discussion on free/cheap Windows SSH client that supports login scripts? - SSH ; Is there a free or cheap Windows SSH client that supports login scripts? i.e. the saved profile for a particular server I'm connecting to, also contains a stored list of commands, so that once I connect, the commands will run. ...

  1. free/cheap Windows SSH client that supports login scripts?

    Is there a free or cheap Windows SSH client that supports login
    scripts? i.e. the saved profile for a particular server I'm
    connecting to, also contains a stored list of commands, so that once I
    connect, the commands will run. This is so for example I can log in
    to a given server running SSH and then log straight into the mysql
    client by automatically executing "mysql -p" and then automatically
    sending the password when prompted. Otherwise, I'd have to type all
    that manually every time.

    I read
    http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html
    but did not see an answer to that.

    SecureCRT can do this
    http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/
    but it costs $99. Was hoping for something cheaper

    Bennett

  2. Re: free/cheap Windows SSH client that supports login scripts?

    Bennett Haselton wrote:
    > Is there a free or cheap Windows SSH client that supports login
    > scripts? i.e. the saved profile for a particular server I'm
    > connecting to, also contains a stored list of commands, so that once I
    > connect, the commands will run. This is so for example I can log in
    > to a given server running SSH and then log straight into the mysql
    > client by automatically executing "mysql -p" and then automatically
    > sending the password when prompted. Otherwise, I'd have to type all
    > that manually every time.
    >
    > I read
    > http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html
    > but did not see an answer to that.
    >
    > SecureCRT can do this
    > http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/
    > but it costs $99. Was hoping for something cheaper
    >
    > Bennett

    Why not put in a shell script for you to run on the server?

  3. Re: free/cheap Windows SSH client that supports login scripts?

    On Oct 22, 12:29*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Bennett Haselton wrote:
    > > Is there a free or cheap Windows SSH client that supports login
    > > scripts? *i.e. the saved profile for a particular server I'm
    > > connecting to, also contains a stored list of commands, so that once I
    > > connect, the commands will run. *This is so for example I can log in
    > > to a given server running SSH and then log straight into the mysql
    > > client by automatically executing "mysql -p" and then automatically
    > > sending the password when prompted. *Otherwise, I'd have to type all
    > > that manually every time.

    > > I read
    > >http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html
    > > but did not see an answer to that.

    > > SecureCRT can do this
    > >http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/
    > > but it costs $99. *Was hoping for something cheaper

    > > Bennett

    > Why not put in a shell script for you to run on the server?- Hide quoted text -

    I was thinking about doing that but then (if I wanted to avoid typing
    in the mysql password each time) I would have to embed the mysql
    password in the shell script, which seems insecure.

    However, I could just make the shell script readable only by the root
    user. Then no one else could read it and that should be safe. (Any
    attacker who achieves the ability to read files readable by root,
    could of course read the database files directly, so I wouldn't lose
    anything by having the password in the shell script, as long as the
    same password isn't used for anything else, which it's not.)

    Bennett

+ Reply to Thread