X11 forwarding - SSH

This is a discussion on X11 forwarding - SSH ; I've seen a few posts here recently about raw v. cooked and thought my question is sort of along those lines, and involves ssh. Since I haven't gotten a good answer anywhere else I figured I'd try it here. I'm ...

  1. X11 forwarding

    I've seen a few posts here recently about raw v. cooked and thought my
    question is sort of along those lines, and involves ssh. Since I haven't
    gotten a good answer anywhere else I figured I'd try it here.

    I'm running the cygwin version of openssh, alongside of putty. I've
    configured both applications to automatically forward X11 connections
    back to my cygwin X server. When I log on to a remote shell using putty
    and run a java gui app, the backspace and arrow keys to do not work. The
    gui is otherwise fine. The mouse and other keys work fine. If I run
    cygwin's ssh from the command line, everything works fine. What would
    cause the backspace and arrow keys not to work when connecting via
    putty, but work fine when using command line ssh?

    BTW all keys work fine via putty in bash, vi, and other x apps like
    xedit and xman. The problem seems to be limited to java apps. It may be
    more extensive than that but that's all I've noticed so far.

  2. Re: X11 forwarding

    Chuck wrote:
    > I've seen a few posts here recently about raw v. cooked and thought my
    > question is sort of along those lines, and involves ssh. Since I
    > haven't gotten a good answer anywhere else I figured I'd try it here.
    >
    > I'm running the cygwin version of openssh, alongside of putty. I've
    > configured both applications to automatically forward X11 connections
    > back to my cygwin X server. When I log on to a remote shell using
    > putty and run a java gui app, the backspace and arrow keys to do not
    > work. The gui is otherwise fine. The mouse and other keys work fine.
    > If I run cygwin's ssh from the command line, everything works fine.
    > What would cause the backspace and arrow keys not to work when
    > connecting via putty, but work fine when using command line ssh?
    >
    > BTW all keys work fine via putty in bash, vi, and other x apps like
    > xedit and xman. The problem seems to be limited to java apps. It may
    > be more extensive than that but that's all I've noticed so far.

    I wouldn't be surprised if it is as you suspect - Java specific. Java
    class libraries often "reinvent the wheel" in order to be self
    sufficient and portable to other OSes. Unfortunately sometimes those
    Java class writers get it wrong.

    That coupled with Putty's implementation is probably the culprit. With
    Cygwin you often have the benefit that the code, OpenSSH in this case,
    is the same code base as Unix/Linux and everything in the Cygwin arena
    is Unix/Linux or at least POSIX based. With Putty? Who knows.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Why do they use sterilized needles for lethal injections?

+ Reply to Thread