disable x11 password menu prompt - SSH

This is a discussion on disable x11 password menu prompt - SSH ; I am using openssh on two different level suse boxes from the command prompt and on one system I get an X11 menu prompt for the password and I want to disable that. Supposedly from other places I have read ...

  1. disable x11 password menu prompt

    I am using openssh on two different level suse boxes from the command
    prompt and on one system I get an X11 menu prompt for the password and
    I want to disable that.

    Supposedly from other places I have read that has to do with the env
    vars of DISPLAY and SSH_ASKPASS

    On the system where I don't get the prompt

    ssh -v is: OpenSSH_4.4p1 OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sept 2006
    DISPLAY=:0
    SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/lib/ssh/x11-ssh-askpass

    On the system where I DO get the prompt that I want to get rid of:

    ssh -v is: OpenSSH_4.2p1 OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
    DISPLAY=:0.0
    SSH_ASKPASS is not set (tho the /usr/lib/ssh programs do exist)

    I tried setting SSH_ASKPASS to /usr/lib/ssh/x11-ssh-askpass and
    setting DISPLAY=:0 but that didn;t get rid of the menu prompt.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: disable x11 password menu prompt

    jrfk2> I am using openssh on two different level suse boxes from the
    jrfk2> command prompt and on one system I get an X11 menu prompt for
    jrfk2> the password and I want to disable that.

    jrfk2> Supposedly from other places I have read that has to do with
    jrfk2> the env vars of DISPLAY and SSH_ASKPASS

    jrfk2> On the system where I don't get the prompt

    jrfk2> ssh -v is: OpenSSH_4.4p1 OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sept 2006 DISPLAY=:0
    jrfk2> SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/lib/ssh/x11-ssh-askpass

    jrfk2> On the system where I DO get the prompt that I want to get rid
    jrfk2> of:

    jrfk2> ssh -v is: OpenSSH_4.2p1 OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
    jrfk2> DISPLAY=:0.0 SSH_ASKPASS is not set (tho the /usr/lib/ssh
    jrfk2> programs do exist)

    jrfk2> I tried setting SSH_ASKPASS to /usr/lib/ssh/x11-ssh-askpass and
    jrfk2> setting DISPLAY=:0 but that didn;t get rid of the menu prompt.

    jrfk2> Any suggestions?

    Well, unsetting the DISPLAY variable will certainly prevent it from using X...

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread