cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown - SSH

This is a discussion on cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown - SSH ; Hi, I was trying to restart a computer remotely using ssh (putty), and I think that I may have shut it down? I tried shutdown -r now, and that didn't seem to work. So I tried: shutdown -r now halt ...

  1. cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown

    Hi,

    I was trying to restart a computer remotely using ssh (putty), and I
    think that I may have shut it down? I tried shutdown -r now, and that
    didn't seem to work. So I tried:

    shutdown -r now
    halt
    poweroff

    After issuing the poweroff command, the putty terminal hung for 5
    minutes or so until I closed it. When I try to reconnect through
    putty, putty immediately errors out with "Network error: connection
    refused". Did I shut down the server?

    Thanks
    Dave

  2. Re: cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown

    In article ,
    davids writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was trying to restart a computer remotely using ssh (putty), and I
    > think that I may have shut it down? I tried shutdown -r now, and that
    > didn't seem to work. So I tried:
    >
    > shutdown -r now
    > halt
    > poweroff
    >
    > After issuing the poweroff command, the putty terminal hung for 5
    > minutes or so until I closed it. When I try to reconnect through
    > putty, putty immediately errors out with "Network error: connection
    > refused". Did I shut down the server?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    Yep, sure did. Either poweroff or halt will stop the machine
    entirely. This assumes you had root/superuser privilege on
    the remote machine.

    Assuming the remote machine is a unix box and you were using your
    ssh connection as a terminal screen, next time you might want to
    try "sync;sync;sync;{reboot|fastboot}". Again, assumes you have
    root/superuser privilege on the remote box.

    For now, though, I'm afraid you'll have to go to the remote site
    yourself or con somebody on-site to physically restart the box.

    -----
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable
    reason so few engage in it. -- Henry Ford

  3. Re: cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown

    On Sep 12, 10:36*pm, mels...@aragorn.rgmhome.net (Robert Melson)
    wrote:
    > In article ,
    > * * * * davids writes:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I was trying to restart a computer remotely using ssh (putty), and I
    > > think that I may have shut it down? I tried shutdown -r now, and that
    > > didn't seem to work. So I tried:

    > > shutdown -r now
    > > halt
    > > poweroff

    > > After issuing the poweroff command, the putty terminal hung for 5
    > > minutes or so until I closed it. When I try to reconnect through
    > > putty, putty immediately errors out with "Network error: connection
    > > refused". Did I shut down the server?

    > > Thanks
    > > Dave

    > Yep, sure did. *Either poweroff or halt will stop the machine
    > entirely. *This assumes you had root/superuser privilege on
    > the remote machine.
    >
    > Assuming the remote machine is a unix box and you were using your
    > ssh connection as a terminal screen, next time you might want to
    > try "sync;sync;sync;{reboot|fastboot}". *Again, assumes you have
    > root/superuser privilege on the remote box.
    >
    > For now, though, I'm afraid you'll have to go to the remote site
    > yourself or con somebody on-site to physically restart the box.
    >
    > --
    > Robert G. Melson | Rio Grande MicroSolutions | El Paso, Texas
    > -----
    > Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable
    > reason so few engage in it. *-- Henry Ford

    Excellent! Thanks so much for the response.
    I believe that I was logged in as root... Anyways, I'll have to try
    the reboot command next time. And in the meantime I'm in the process
    of finding where on-site might be. Lol

  4. Re: cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown

    davids writes:

    >Hi,

    >I was trying to restart a computer remotely using ssh (putty), and I
    >think that I may have shut it down? I tried shutdown -r now, and that
    >didn't seem to work. So I tried:

    >shutdown -r now
    >halt
    >poweroff

    >After issuing the poweroff command, the putty terminal hung for 5
    >minutes or so until I closed it. When I try to reconnect through
    >putty, putty immediately errors out with "Network error: connection
    >refused". Did I shut down the server?

    Yes.

    Why did you you do those things?

  5. Re: cannot connect through ssh after ssh-shutdown

    Unruh wrote:
    > davids writes:
    >
    >> Hi,

    >> I was trying to restart a computer remotely using ssh (putty), and I
    >> think that I may have shut it down? I tried shutdown -r now, and that
    >> didn't seem to work. So I tried:

    >> shutdown -r now
    >> halt
    >> poweroff

    >> After issuing the poweroff command, the putty terminal hung for 5
    >> minutes or so until I closed it. When I try to reconnect through
    >> putty, putty immediately errors out with "Network error: connection
    >> refused". Did I shut down the server?

    > Yes.
    >

    > Why did you you do those things?

    He said: because shutdown -r now wasn't working.

    Various things can cause this: in particular, broken NFS mounts can cause
    extremely lengthy shutdown times. And broken init scripts with minor errors
    that cause them to hang will do the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread