scp transferring files incorrectly (checksums differ) - SSH

This is a discussion on scp transferring files incorrectly (checksums differ) - SSH ; I'm trying to copy a ~80 MB TAR file between two linux systems on the same network, from system1 to system2. The resulting file on system2 has the correct file size, but contains some garbled characters, and doesn't pass the ...

  1. scp transferring files incorrectly (checksums differ)

    I'm trying to copy a ~80 MB TAR file between two linux systems on the
    same network, from system1 to system2. The resulting file on system2
    has the correct file size, but contains some garbled characters, and
    doesn't pass the checksum test. Here are the machine stats:

    --- SYSTEM 1 ---
    uname -a:
    Linux system1 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25 13:49:24 EDT 2008
    i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    ssh -V:
    OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

    cksum scripts.tar:
    1207994514 80220160 scripts.tar

    --- SYSTEM 2 ---
    uname -a:
    Linux system2 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008
    x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    ssh -V:
    OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

    cksum scripts.tar:
    3359577481 80220160 scripts.tar

    I'm executing: "scp scripts.tar system2:/home/fischega". Has anyone
    ever seen anything like this before? This has me totally baffled.

    Thanks,
    Greg

  2. Re: scp transferring files incorrectly (checksums differ)

    On 2008-08-12, Greg.A.Fischer@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm trying to copy a ~80 MB TAR file between two linux systems on the
    > same network, from system1 to system2. The resulting file on system2
    > has the correct file size, but contains some garbled characters, and
    > doesn't pass the checksum test. Here are the machine stats:

    > I'm executing: "scp scripts.tar system2:/home/fischega". Has anyone
    > ever seen anything like this before? This has me totally baffled.

    What are the garbled characters you mention? They probably contain a clue.
    How repeatable is it?

    The first thing I would do is try other checksum tools (such as "openssl sha1")
    in case the two cksum programs disagree on the same data.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  3. Re: scp transferring files incorrectly (checksums differ)

    Greg.A.Fischer@gmail.com writes:

    >I'm trying to copy a ~80 MB TAR file between two linux systems on the
    >same network, from system1 to system2. The resulting file on system2
    >has the correct file size, but contains some garbled characters, and
    >doesn't pass the checksum test. Here are the machine stats:

    >--- SYSTEM 1 ---
    >uname -a:
    >Linux system1 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25 13:49:24 EDT 2008
    >i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    >ssh -V:
    >OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

    >cksum scripts.tar:
    >1207994514 80220160 scripts.tar

    >--- SYSTEM 2 ---
    >uname -a:
    >Linux system2 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008
    >x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    >ssh -V:
    >OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

    >cksum scripts.tar:
    >3359577481 80220160 scripts.tar

    >I'm executing: "scp scripts.tar system2:/home/fischega". Has anyone
    >ever seen anything like this before? This has me totally baffled.

    Yes, I have. Bad memory or bad disk.

  4. Re: scp transferring files incorrectly (checksums differ)

    Unruh writes:

    >>I'm executing: "scp scripts.tar system2:/home/fischega". Has anyone
    >>ever seen anything like this before? This has me totally baffled.

    >Yes, I have. Bad memory or bad disk.

    Or broken TSO implementation.

    Michael van Elst
    Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de