Tunnel with same listen and destination port - SSH

This is a discussion on Tunnel with same listen and destination port - SSH ; I'm trying to tunnel remote desktop to a machine on another network. When I log into the SSH server(unix/linux), I can ping the windows machine successfully from that machine I am SSH'd into. So in my SSH client I have ...

  1. Tunnel with same listen and destination port

    I'm trying to tunnel remote desktop to a machine on another network.
    When I log into the SSH server(unix/linux), I can ping the windows
    machine successfully from that machine I am SSH'd into. So in my SSH
    client I have set it up to request a tunnel with listen port 3389 and
    destionation of 3389 and the destination hostname.

    When I connect I get an error like "Failed to create an outgoing
    tunnel."

    If I set the source port to 3388, and connect, then I do not get this
    error. I don't quite understand why. It would seem it wouldn't
    conflict, as the listen port only applies to my computer, and the
    destination port only applies to the destination computer.

    Maybe my computer is already listening for 3389 and the SSH client
    can't connect to it as well?

  2. Re: Tunnel with same listen and destination port

    hidden@dodgeit.com writes:
    > I'm trying to tunnel remote desktop to a machine on another network.
    > When I log into the SSH server(unix/linux), I can ping the windows
    > machine successfully from that machine I am SSH'd into. So in my SSH
    > client I have set it up to request a tunnel with listen port 3389 and
    > destionation of 3389 and the destination hostname.
    >
    > When I connect I get an error like "Failed to create an outgoing
    > tunnel."
    >
    > If I set the source port to 3388, and connect, then I do not get this
    > error. I don't quite understand why.

    Review netstat -an | grep 3389 on the originating machine. Perhaps
    RDP is running on it and you're not aware.

    > Maybe my computer is already listening for 3389 and the SSH client
    > can't connect to it as well?

    That's usually the issue.

    You might also post what commandline you're using for this, or what
    tools/entries into dialog boxes you're using to make sure something
    else isn't awry.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/