SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10 - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10 - SSH ; I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1. I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display is not exported ...

  1. SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    seen this before?

  2. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    "stealthsurfer@gmail.com" writes:

    > I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    > I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    > X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    > is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    > seen this before?

    Have you confirmed with ssh -v that the tunnel is failing for X11
    forwarding?

    Is it possible your X server may need to be enabled to allow client
    connections from local host?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    "stealthsurfer@gmail.com" writes:

    >I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    >I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    >X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    >is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    >seen this before?

    Works fine for me.

    If you have "UseLogin" set in sshd_config, I think that interferes
    with X forwarding.

  4. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    stealthsurfer@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    > I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    > X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    > is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    > seen this before?

    There may be a "mismatch" between IPv4 and IPv6. See the following for
    more information. This problem has been reported to Sun and has been
    "taken under advisement", but no patch has been developed (yet), though
    it appears to BE the result of a patch.

    Basically what we found out is that X11 forwarding over SSH was failing
    as the "tunnel return path" was attempting to connect to localhost (lo0)
    via IPv6 address, but we had only IPv4 lo0 defined. Basically, doing a
    "touch /etc/hostname6.lo0" 'did the trick' to 'fix the problem'. Note
    that there may be a "t_ ...." error when rebooting, but it
    doesn't prevent an IPv6 local loopback interface from being created.

    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5302236
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....138f95d0e68b70
    http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/for...g-problem.html

  5. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    On Jul 1, 7:13*pm, "stealthsur...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    > I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    > X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    > is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    > seen this before?

    xhost +

    ???

  6. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    wrote:
    > I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    > I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    > X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    > is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    > seen this before?

    /usr/openwin/bin/xhost +

    ??

  7. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    Franco writes:

    > On Jul 1, 7:13*pm, "stealthsur...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    >> I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    >> X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    >> is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    >> seen this before?

    > /usr/openwin/bin/xhost +

    Excellent idea if you wanna get owned.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

    On Jul 3, 11:22 pm, chi...@no.more.spam wrote:
    > stealthsur...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
    > > I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
    > > X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
    > > is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
    > > seen this before?

    > There may be a "mismatch" between IPv4 and IPv6. See the following for
    > more information. This problem has been reported to Sun and has been
    > "taken under advisement", but no patch has been developed (yet), though
    > it appears to BE the result of a patch.
    >
    > Basically what we found out is that X11 forwarding over SSH was failing
    > as the "tunnel return path" was attempting to connect to localhost (lo0)
    > via IPv6 address, but we had only IPv4 lo0 defined. Basically, doing a
    > "touch /etc/hostname6.lo0" 'did the trick' to 'fix the problem'. Note
    > that there may be a "t_ ...." error when rebooting, but it
    > doesn't prevent an IPv6 local loopback interface from being created.
    >
    > http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...s10-sshd-x-for...

    I have tried both ssh -4AX rmotehost
    and on remotehost creating hostname6.lo0

    only the latter works

    There is no option that I can see for setting AddressFamily on Solaris
    SSH in sshd_config

    I wonder why the ssh -4 works for some systems, but not others?

+ Reply to Thread