What might be wrong here? - SSH

This is a discussion on What might be wrong here? - SSH ; from my Powerbook (OS X 10.4) i did the following ssh-command to a ubuntu linux box: pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan sudo wireshark the sudo-command asked me for a password that was _not_ masked, as i typed it in. Of ...

  1. What might be wrong here?

    from my Powerbook (OS X 10.4) i did the following ssh-command
    to a ubuntu linux box:

    pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan sudo wireshark

    the sudo-command asked me for a password that was _not_ masked, as i
    typed it in. Of course, i can do

    pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan
    Last login: Mon Jun 30 12:48:11 2008
    adminloc@ubuntu:~$ sudo wireshark
    Password:

    which works as i expected, but i would like to know, if it is possible
    to do it the first way with the password masked, while i am typing it?

    Thank you for any hint
    Wolfgang

  2. Re: What might be wrong here?

    Wolfgang Meiners writes:

    > from my Powerbook (OS X 10.4) i did the following ssh-command
    > to a ubuntu linux box:
    >
    > pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan sudo wireshark
    >
    > the sudo-command asked me for a password that was _not_ masked, as i
    > typed it in. Of course, i can do
    >
    > pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan
    > Last login: Mon Jun 30 12:48:11 2008
    > adminloc@ubuntu:~$ sudo wireshark
    > Password:
    >
    > which works as i expected, but i would like to know, if it is possible
    > to do it the first way with the password masked, while i am typing
    > it?

    Edit /etc/sudoers on ubuntu.lan to allow adminloc to execute
    wireshark with NOPASSWD

    I think the lack of masking the password comes as a byproduct of sudo
    wireshark not being executed in a proper terminal environment where
    sudo can control/suppress character echo. That's a guess, I'm far
    from a tty expert.

    But the /etc/sudoers workaround will give you the ease of use ya want.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: What might be wrong here?

    Hi,

    Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    > from my Powerbook (OS X 10.4) i did the following ssh-command
    > to a ubuntu linux box:
    >
    > pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan sudo wireshark
    >
    > the sudo-command asked me for a password that was _not_ masked, as i
    > typed it in. Of course, i can do

    > pbook:~ wolfgang$ ssh -CX adminloc@ubuntu.lan
    > Last login: Mon Jun 30 12:48:11 2008
    > adminloc@ubuntu:~$ sudo wireshark
    > Password:
    >
    > which works as i expected, but i would like to know, if it is possible
    > to do it the first way with the password masked, while i am typing it?

    Use option -t to allocate a TTY even when you specify a remote
    command to run, i.e.

    ssh -tCX adminloc@ubuntu.lan sudo wireshark

    Btw., is the line to "ubuntu.lan" really so slow that -C actually
    gives you a benefit?

    Ciao

    Thomas

    --
    Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)
    gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de

  4. Re: What might be wrong here?

    Thomas Binder schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > ssh -tCX adminloc@ubuntu.lan sudo wireshark

    that did the trick. Thank you!

    > Btw., is the line to "ubuntu.lan" really so slow that -C actually
    > gives you a benefit?

    I have not tried without -C, but maybe there is not really a benefit.

    > Ciao
    >
    > Thomas

    Wolfgang

+ Reply to Thread