Using a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH - SSH

This is a discussion on Using a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH - SSH ; A terminal client here is called »keyboard friendly«, if it can be configured in such a manner that local functions, including pasting from the clipboard and recalling configurations (like font-sizes) can be activated by a single key (possibly with modifiers). ...

  1. Using a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH

    A terminal client here is called »keyboard friendly«, if it
    can be configured in such a manner that local functions,
    including pasting from the clipboard and recalling
    configurations (like font-sizes) can be activated by a single
    key (possibly with modifiers).

    A person had used a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH
    support. Now the server does not support the old SSH protocol
    anymore, and this client can not be used anymore.

    The client »putty« can be used, but it is not keyboard friendly.

    When establishing the SSH connection, the user needs to
    provide his credentials.

    Possibly, there is a way to establish the SSH session via a
    tool that does not have a terminal user interface itself, but
    instead has a local telnet port (i.e., the remote port 23 with
    SSH is mapped to a local port 22 with telnet)?

    Then, the old keyboard-friendly terminal software could be
    used to telnet to the local telnet port.

    (Putty has something called »SSH port forwarding«, but this
    seems to be something else, which the remote server
    deliberatly does not support. I am looking for a tool that
    looks like a SSH terminal client to the remote server
    and like a telnet terminal server to the local terminal.)

  2. Re: Using a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH

    ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

    > A terminal client here is called »keyboard friendly«, if it
    > can be configured in such a manner that local functions,
    > including pasting from the clipboard and recalling
    > configurations (like font-sizes) can be activated by a single
    > key (possibly with modifiers).
    >
    > A person had used a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH
    > support. Now the server does not support the old SSH protocol
    > anymore, and this client can not be used anymore.

    Does this old terminal client have a name? If so what is it?

    > The client »putty« can be used, but it is not keyboard friendly.
    >
    > When establishing the SSH connection, the user needs to
    > provide his credentials.
    >
    > Possibly, there is a way to establish the SSH session via a
    > tool that does not have a terminal user interface itself, but
    > instead has a local telnet port (i.e., the remote port 23 with
    > SSH is mapped to a local port 22 with telnet)?
    >
    > Then, the old keyboard-friendly terminal software could be
    > used to telnet to the local telnet port.
    >
    > (Putty has something called »SSH port forwarding«, but this
    > seems to be something else, which the remote server
    > deliberatly does not support. I am looking for a tool that
    > looks like a SSH terminal client to the remote server
    > and like a telnet terminal server to the local terminal.)

    Try VanDyke SecureCRT. I think it does what you want.
    http://vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html

    It's not free, but if you use ssh every day on multiple machines, it's
    worth every penny.

    Free trial, though.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Using a keyboard-friendly terminal client with SSH

    comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
    >Does this old terminal client have a name? If so what is it?

    I can't ask the actual user right now, but I believe it was
    »Tera Term«, and he added some plug-in to add SSH capabilities.
    Now this plug-in possibly is not updated anymore to support
    recent SSH protocols.

    >Try VanDyke SecureCRT. I think it does what you want.

    Thank you, I will have a look at this software!

+ Reply to Thread