Before I explore implementing this myself, I'd like to know if anyone has heard
of software that does the following (all 5):

1. Acts as a library intercept wedge that causes TCP connections to be handled
through a proxy. There is one out there (I forget its name) that does this
for a running SOCKS proxy (which could be an SSH client process doing dynamic
forwarding).

2. Instead of connecting to an existing SOCKS proxy, this intercept will start
an SSH client (or more than one if needed) in the background to manage the
connection forwarding.

3. Instead of using SSH's port forwarding, it will start an agent on the remote
host to be the remote end of the forwarding. The traffic will then run over
the SSH main channel, not using SSH's port forwarding. This agent will be
part of this project and therefore must be installed on the remote host.

4. Enhanced fowarding capabilities will be part of this, including the ability
to start yet another SSH client to forward through. Other features include
the ability to specify the source IP address and port of connections going
out from the remote host to the target connection peer. Specifics of how
make these connections can be provided in environment variables, user home
based config files, and global config files.

5. This will also ensure that the SSH connection is reliably removed when the
application no longer needs it.