help for OpenSSH on ubuntu 8.04 - SSH

This is a discussion on help for OpenSSH on ubuntu 8.04 - SSH ; I try to install ssh on ubuntu, i create the key but when I write $ ssh start return: "Name or service not know" What's the error? I think that somethingfile is missing or the installation it's wrong... this is ...

  1. help for OpenSSH on ubuntu 8.04

    I try to install ssh on ubuntu, i create the key but when I write

    $ ssh start

    return: "Name or service not know"

    What's the error? I think that somethingfile is missing or the
    installation it's wrong...

    this is the sshd.conf

    # Package generated configuration file
    # See the sshd(8) manpage for details

    # What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
    Port 22
    # Use these options to restrict which interfaces/protocols sshd will bind to
    #ListenAddress ::
    #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    Protocol 2
    # HostKeys for protocol version 2
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
    #Privilege Separation is turned on for security
    UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

    # Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
    KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
    ServerKeyBits 768

    # Logging
    SyslogFacility AUTH
    LogLevel INFO

    # Authentication:
    LoginGraceTime 120
    PermitRootLogin yes
    StrictModes yes

    RSAAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    #AuthorizedKeysFile %h/.ssh/authorized_keys

    # Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
    IgnoreRhosts yes
    # For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
    RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    # similar for protocol version 2
    HostbasedAuthentication no
    # Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
    RhostsRSAAuthentication
    IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes

    # To enable empty passwords, change to yes (NOT RECOMMENDED)
    PermitEmptyPasswords no

    # Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware issues with
    # some PAM modules and threads)
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

    # Change to no to disable tunnelled clear text passwords
    PasswordAuthentication yes

    # Kerberos options
    #KerberosAuthentication no
    #KerberosGetAFSToken no
    #KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
    #KerberosTicketCleanup yes

    # GSSAPI options
    #GSSAPIAuthentication no
    #GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    PrintMotd no
    PrintLastLog yes
    TCPKeepAlive yes
    #UseLogin no

    #MaxStartups 10:30:60
    #Banner /etc/issue.net

    # Allow client to pass locale environment variables
    AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

    UsePAM yes

  2. Re: help for OpenSSH on ubuntu 8.04

    In article <48545d76$0$18148$4fafbaef@reader3.news.tin.it>,
    sensei writes:
    > I try to install ssh on ubuntu, i create the key but when I write
    >
    > $ ssh start
    >
    > return: "Name or service not know"
    >
    > What's the error? I think that somethingfile is missing or the
    > installation it's wrong...
    >
    > this is the sshd.conf
    >
    > # Package generated configuration file
    > # See the sshd(8) manpage for details
    >
    > # What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
    > Port 22
    > # Use these options to restrict which interfaces/protocols sshd will bind to
    > #ListenAddress ::
    > #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    > Protocol 2
    > # HostKeys for protocol version 2
    > HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
    > HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
    > #Privilege Separation is turned on for security
    > UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
    >
    > # Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
    > KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
    > ServerKeyBits 768
    >
    > # Logging
    > SyslogFacility AUTH
    > LogLevel INFO
    >
    > # Authentication:
    > LoginGraceTime 120
    > PermitRootLogin yes
    > StrictModes yes
    >
    > RSAAuthentication yes
    > PubkeyAuthentication yes
    > #AuthorizedKeysFile %h/.ssh/authorized_keys
    >
    > # Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
    > IgnoreRhosts yes
    > # For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
    > RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    > # similar for protocol version 2
    > HostbasedAuthentication no
    > # Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
    > RhostsRSAAuthentication
    > IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes
    >
    > # To enable empty passwords, change to yes (NOT RECOMMENDED)
    > PermitEmptyPasswords no
    >
    > # Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware issues with
    > # some PAM modules and threads)
    > ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
    >
    > # Change to no to disable tunnelled clear text passwords
    > PasswordAuthentication yes
    >
    > # Kerberos options
    > #KerberosAuthentication no
    > #KerberosGetAFSToken no
    > #KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
    > #KerberosTicketCleanup yes
    >
    > # GSSAPI options
    > #GSSAPIAuthentication no
    > #GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
    >
    > X11Forwarding yes
    > X11DisplayOffset 10
    > PrintMotd no
    > PrintLastLog yes
    > TCPKeepAlive yes
    > #UseLogin no
    >
    > #MaxStartups 10:30:60
    > #Banner /etc/issue.net
    >
    > # Allow client to pass locale environment variables
    > AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
    >
    > Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
    >
    > UsePAM yes

    Is start the name of a machine reachable from your computer?

    If so, try "ssh -v start" and examine the output. It may be
    that start doesn't have ssh enabled. Try also "ssh -v ip-address>" and examine the output. Read the manual pages
    for ssh again.

    -----
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable
    reason so few engage in it. -- Henry Ford

  3. Re: help for OpenSSH on ubuntu 8.04

    In article ,
    melsonr@aragorn.rgmhome.net (Robert Melson) writes:
> [...]
    >> #KerberosTicketCleanup yes
    >>
    >> # GSSAPI options
    >> #GSSAPIAuthentication no
    >> #GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
    >>
    >> X11Forwarding yes
    >> X11DisplayOffset 10
    >> PrintMotd no
    >> PrintLastLog yes
    >> TCPKeepAlive yes
    >> #UseLogin no
    >>
    >> #MaxStartups 10:30:60
    >> #Banner /etc/issue.net
    >>
    >> # Allow client to pass locale environment variables
    >> AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
    >>
    >> Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
    >>
    >> UsePAM yes

    > Is start the name of a machine reachable from your computer?
    >
    > If so, try "ssh -v start" and examine the output. It may be
    > that start doesn't have ssh enabled. Try also "ssh -v > ip-address>" and examine the output. Read the manual pages

    A follow up to my follow up. Do you have sshd enabled on your
    machine? Check inetd.conf or whatever passes for inetd.conf
    on your machine. Check also by doing "ps -ax | grep sshd".

    -----
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable
    reason so few engage in it. -- Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread