common private key for team - SSH

This is a discussion on common private key for team - SSH ; Hello, I have ftp server on which we have ssh ftp account. Actually one of the user generated keys and provided the public key for ftp account setup. Both user account and ftp account servers are unix. User is able ...

  1. common private key for team

    Hello,

    I have ftp server on which we have ssh ftp account. Actually one of
    the user generated keys and provided the public key for ftp account
    setup. Both user account and ftp account servers are unix.

    User is able to sftp to the ftp server. Now we want to share that key
    so other team members can login to ftp server without requiring
    multiple accounts.

    can you guide ? the user has the private key in his ~/.ssh/id_rsa. If
    we team members copy it too will it work ?

    Thanks.

    miten.

  2. Re: common private key for team

    On 2008-06-05, miten.mehta@morganstanley.com
    wrote:

    > User is able to sftp to the ftp server. Now we want to share that key
    > so other team members can login to ftp server without requiring
    > multiple accounts.
    >
    > can you guide ? the user has the private key in his ~/.ssh/id_rsa. If
    > we team members copy it too will it work ?

    I suggest you discuss that with
    rather than ask us here.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  3. Re: common private key for team

    all mail refused wrote:
    > On 2008-06-05, miten.mehta@morganstanley.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> User is able to sftp to the ftp server. Now we want to share that key
    >> so other team members can login to ftp server without requiring
    >> multiple accounts.
    >>
    >> can you guide ? the user has the private key in his ~/.ssh/id_rsa. If
    >> we team members copy it too will it work ?

    > I suggest you discuss that with
    > rather than ask us here.

    I suggest that you *don't* use SSH for this. Unless you go to a lot of extra
    work, such as setting up chroot cages by the very painful methods of OpenSSH,
    anyone with SFTP access can browse any publicly readable files or
    configuration details anywhere on your system. This is not wise for a shared
    resource. SSH and SFTP also badly handles symlinks. It's not surprising,
    they're based on some pretty ancient technologies.

    WebDAV over HTTPS is pretty easy to set up, supports shared permissions quite
    well, has whatever account and shared permissions you care to configure, and
    is built into Apache and numerous webclients and Java GUI's.

+ Reply to Thread