psftp.exe vs putty.exe --> "Server refused to allocate pty" errormessage. - SSH

This is a discussion on psftp.exe vs putty.exe --> "Server refused to allocate pty" errormessage. - SSH ; Hi, I'm using Win XP with Putty 0.59, SSH. The port is being forwarded through our firewall. The far end is a Tumbleweed sFTP server. From the command line, I have no problems with the following cmd: psftp.exe -v -load ...

  1. psftp.exe vs putty.exe --> "Server refused to allocate pty" errormessage.

    Hi,
    I'm using Win XP with Putty 0.59, SSH. The port is being forwarded
    through our firewall. The far end is a Tumbleweed sFTP server.

    From the command line, I have no problems with the following cmd:
    psftp.exe -v -load "RemoteServer" < blah.script

    but when I try to use putty.exe interactively :
    putty.exe -v -load "RemoteServer"

    it prompts for the password, which I type correctly and I get the
    dreaded "server refused to start a shell/command" and "Server refused
    to allocate pty" error message.

    Anyone seen this before? Can I not use the GUI PuTTY interactively?

    Thanks,

    Craig

    Incoming raw data
    00000000 38 ee a6 01 ac 1f 66 2f c7 e8 12 a3 7e 56 88 2a
    8.....f/....~V.*
    00000010 11 3d bf a3 7f 7d 77 84 b0 51 bc ed 37 d7 97
    03 .=...}w..Q..7...
    00000020 c2 21 66 11 .!f.
    Incoming packet type 100 / 0x64 (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE)
    00000000 00 00 01 00 ....
    Event Log: Server refused to start a shell/command

  2. Re: psftp.exe vs putty.exe --> "Server refused to allocate pty" errormessage.

    Curtin1060@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm using Win XP with Putty 0.59, SSH. [..]

    Latest news

    2007-04-29 PuTTY 0.60 is released
    PuTTY 0.60 is out, containing mostly bug fixes.

    2007-01-24 PuTTY 0.59 is released

    So there was a new (bugfix) release more than a year ago, please update
    your PuTTY.

    > [..] The port is being forwarded
    > through our firewall. The far end is a Tumbleweed sFTP server.
    >
    > From the command line, I have no problems with the following cmd:
    > psftp.exe -v -load "RemoteServer" < blah.script
    >
    > but when I try to use putty.exe interactively :
    > putty.exe -v -load "RemoteServer"
    >
    > it prompts for the password, which I type correctly and I get the
    > dreaded "server refused to start a shell/command" and "Server refused
    > to allocate pty" error message.
    >
    > Anyone seen this before? [..]

    Not me, I've never tried it :P

    > [..] Can I not use the GUI PuTTY interactively?

    Not sure, but PuTTY is a telnet/SSH client, not an (S)FTP client, I
    think that's what psftp.exe is for

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

    Here are the PuTTY files themselves:

    * PuTTY (the Telnet and SSH client itself)
    * PSCP (an SCP client, i.e. command-line secure file copy)
    * PSFTP (an SFTP client, i.e. general file transfer sessions much
    like FTP)

    You might have a go with Plink (plink.exe), maybe it can do what you
    want, but Plink is not a GUI, so I guess not ..

    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../Chapter7.html

    Plink is probably not what you want if you want to run an interactive
    session in a console window.

    --
    Regards,
    Harrie