Row and Column Size - SSH

This is a discussion on Row and Column Size - SSH ; All, I've been writing an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed that my (OpenSSH) server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters of output. How can I have my client set the row and column size? I ...

  1. Row and Column Size

    All,

    I've been writing an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed
    that my (OpenSSH) server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters
    of output. How can I have my client set the row and column size? I
    would like to do this dynamically when the window is resized as well.
    Are there any limitations to the row and column size values?

    Thanks,
    Dan

  2. Re: Row and Column Size

    On 26 May, 11:22, dd wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I've been writing an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed
    > that my (OpenSSH) server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters
    > of output. *How can I have my client set the row and column size? *I
    > would like to do this dynamically when the window is resized as well.
    > Are there any limitations to the row and column size values?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    It's a terminal setting. You need to confince your terminal type that
    your window is larger, which depends on your SSH client. There are
    some limits, depending on the typical maximum line lengths set in your
    stdio.h and related include files for your operating system.

    What SSH client or terminal emulator are you using? From what client
    OS?

  3. Re: Row and Column Size

    In article
    <453a0d35-4cf0-4c81-b8e3-a460fafc8c6d@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> Nico
    Kadel-Garcia writes:
    >On 26 May, 11:22, dd wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've been writing an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed
    >> that my (OpenSSH) server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters
    >> of output. *How can I have my client set the row and column size? *I
    >> would like to do this dynamically when the window is resized as well.
    >> Are there any limitations to the row and column size values?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dan

    >It's a terminal setting. You need to confince your terminal type that
    >your window is larger, which depends on your SSH client.

    Read again - he's *writing* the client. Not sure how it's possible to do
    that and not see all the window size stuff in RFC 4254, but that's where
    it is, anyway.

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  4. Re: Row and Column Size

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 26 May, 11:22, dd wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've been writing an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed
    >> that my (OpenSSH) server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters
    >> of output. How can I have my client set the row and column size? I
    >> would like to do this dynamically when the window is resized as well.
    >> Are there any limitations to the row and column size values?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dan

    > It's a terminal setting. You need to confince your terminal type that
    > your window is larger, which depends on your SSH client. There are
    > some limits, depending on the typical maximum line lengths set in your
    > stdio.h and related include files for your operating system.
    >
    > What SSH client or terminal emulator are you using? From what client
    > OS?

    I am actually coding my own SSH client, using C# and a richtextbox in
    XP/Vista. I don't know if I'll be able to code every aspect of terminal
    emulation into a richtextbox, but that is what the attempt is. So, my
    question is, how do I convince my terminal type that the window is
    larger than 80 columns?

    Thanks,
    Dan

  5. Re: Row and Column Size

    Per Hedeland wrote:
    > In article
    > <453a0d35-4cf0-4c81-b8e3-a460fafc8c6d@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> Nico
    > Kadel-Garcia writes:
    >> On 26 May, 11:22, dd wrote:
    >>> All,
    >>>
    >>> I've been writing an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed
    >>> that my (OpenSSH) server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters
    >>> of output. How can I have my client set the row and column size? I
    >>> would like to do this dynamically when the window is resized as well.
    >>> Are there any limitations to the row and column size values?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dan

    >> It's a terminal setting. You need to confince your terminal type that
    >> your window is larger, which depends on your SSH client.

    > Read again - he's *writing* the client. Not sure how it's possible to do
    > that and not see all the window size stuff in RFC 4254, but that's where
    > it is, anyway.
    >
    > --Per Hedeland
    > per@hedeland.org

    Thanks, that helped. I think I can send this command via the SSH API
    that I am using (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/sharpssh.aspx). It is
    now a matter of figuring out how to use the API.

    Thanks,
    Dan Pixley

+ Reply to Thread