I am at wit's end trying to resolve this problem. Can anyone help?

Windows XP SP2, with Cygwin and full PuTTy package loaded.

If I issue the command:

C:\>plink -v XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

This is what I get:

Looking up host "127.0.0.1"
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 port 22
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Snapshot_2008_05_21:r7993
Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1: Network error: Connection refused
Network error: Connection refused
FATAL ERROR: Network error: Connection refused

I tried the same thing using hostname, but plink wants to look up
127.0.0.1. At first I thought it may have something to do with the
fact that I have a SSHD running under Cygwin, and stopped the service,
but the error persists.

The weird thing is that if I use a saved session and load it into
plink, it works just fine, no problem at all, which makes me suspect
that it may be something external, maybe the shell itself not passing
the command intelligently. In all case, I use Command Prompt instead
of Cygwin when I want to use plink for testing.

This is also true of username. According to the manual, the login
should be the last thing in the command; e.g.:

plink -ssh login.example.com -l fred

But this is what happens when I gave the command:

C:\>plink -v XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -l linuxusername

Looking up host "127.0.0.1"
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 port 22
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Snapshot_2008_05_21:r7993
Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.7
Using SSH protocol version 2
Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-256
Host key fingerprint is:
ssh-rsa XXXX XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Initialised AES-256 SDCTR client->server encryption
Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
Initialised AES-256 SDCTR server->client encryption
Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
Using username "Windows Username".
Keyboard-interactive authentication refused
Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available
FATAL ERROR: Disconnected: No supported authentication methods
available

Bizarrely, if I issue the command:

C:\>plink -v -l linuxusername XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Plink accepts the argument and uses it, while still resolving to
127.0.0.1. It still ignores when I use different variants (e.g.
linuxusername@hostname).

Note: this was done when the Cygwin SSHD was running. When it's not
running, the error is just same as the first one showed above.

Any suggestions?