Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync? - SSH

This is a discussion on Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync? - SSH ; Assuem I want to transfer large amounts of stuff from one server to another (through Internet). Which method should I prefer: ftp or rsync ? What are the Pros and Cons? Which is faster? Which is more stable? Goran...

  1. Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync?

    Assuem I want to transfer large amounts of stuff from one server to another (through Internet).

    Which method should I prefer:

    ftp or rsync ?

    What are the Pros and Cons?

    Which is faster?

    Which is more stable?

    Goran

  2. Re: Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync?

    At 03 May 2008 12:52:33 GMT goran@lycos.com (Goran Ivanic) wrote:

    > Assuem I want to transfer large amounts of stuff from one server to another (through Internet).
    >
    > Which method should I prefer:
    >
    > ftp or rsync ?
    >
    > What are the Pros and Cons?
    >
    > Which is faster?
    >
    > Which is more stable?

    Ftp is not secure. I would not use it to transfer large amounts of stuff
    from one server to another, unless what you are doing is something like
    mirroring a ftp site. If you are planing to provide a mirror to a ftp
    site, you should talk to the sysadmin of the site you are mirroring.
    They probably have a rsync server in place for this purpose.

    Otherwise...

    Using rsync over ssh (rsunc -e ssh ...) or using tar over ssh (tar czvf -
    -C sourcedir files | ssh othermachine tar xzvf - -C destdir) are both
    good options. I'd use the tar/ssh route if this is a new / first time
    transfer. Using rsync is better if it is an update (some random subset
    of files need to be transfered).

    > Goran

    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

  3. Re: Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Goran Ivanic wrote:
    > Assume I want to transfer large amounts of stuff from one server to
    > another (through Internet).

    Either you do or you don't. It's hard enough understanding people's
    questions without having unnecessary assumptions thrown about.

    > Which method should I prefer:
    > ftp or rsync ?

    Your preference is entirely up to you. Personally, if it really was
    "large amounts of stuff", I'd consider sending a tape through the post.

    > What are the Pros and Cons?
    > Which is faster?
    > Which is more stable?

    I think you probably ought to go and do your own homework, don't you?
    Chris

  4. Re: Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync?

    On May 4, 7:09 pm, Chris Davies wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc Goran Ivanic wrote:
    >
    > > Assume I want to transfer large amounts of stuff from one server to
    > > another (through Internet).

    > Either you do or you don't. It's hard enough understanding people's
    > questions without having unnecessary assumptions thrown about.
    >
    > > Which method should I prefer:
    > > ftp or rsync ?

    I would rather go for rsync, it gives you a lot more functionality
    over ftp,,,you may customize and do stuff like files to retain or
    not...

    > Your preference is entirely up to you. Personally, if it really was
    > "large amounts of stuff", I'd consider sending a tape through the post.
    >
    > > What are the Pros and Cons?
    > > Which is faster?
    > > Which is more stable?

    > I think you probably ought to go and do your own homework, don't you?
    > Chris

  5. Re: Pros and Cons of using ftp vs. rsync?

    There's really no reason to prefer ftp over rsync, except maybe that most
    browser have ftp support but not always rsync.

    If you are going to have many simultaneous transfers, you may not want to do
    it over ssh as it will be too CPU intensive over a fat pipe.
    --
    Guillaume Dargaud
    http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/

+ Reply to Thread