    Should somebody correct the Wikipedia article, is openssh.org the
    official domain now, or are both domains equally valid?

  2. Re: Wikipedia

    On 2008-04-08, EclecticMonk wrote:
    > I just happened to wander by the OpenSSH page on Wikipedia (http://
    > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openssh) and it gives the OpenSSH website as
    > http://www.openssh.org
    > My understanding was that the official domain name was openssh.com
    > (although that's based on this Slashdot article from 2000:
    > http://slashdot.org/articles/00/03/06/2036242.shtml).
    > I see the openssh.org domain is still registered to Alex de Joode, but
    > the email links at the bottom of most pages on the openssh.com site
    > point to www@openssh.org.
    > Should somebody correct the Wikipedia article, is openssh.org the
    > official domain now, or are both domains equally valid?

    The official domain is "openssh.com". openssh.org is currently a
    mirror of the same content although there's no guarantee that it
    will remain that way as it is ultimately under the control of a third
    party. The wikipedia article is wrong.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: Wikipedia

    On Apr 10, 11:36 am, Darren Tucker wrote:
    > On 2008-04-08, EclecticMonk wrote:
    >
    > > I just happened to wander by the OpenSSH page on Wikipedia (http://
    > > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openssh) and it gives the OpenSSH website as
    > >http://www.openssh.org
    > > My understanding was that the official domain name was openssh.com
    > > (although that's based on this Slashdot article from 2000:
    > >http://slashdot.org/articles/00/03/06/2036242.shtml).
    > > I see the openssh.org domain is still registered to Alex de Joode, but
    > > the email links at the bottom of most pages on the openssh.com site
    > > point to w...@openssh.org.
    > > Should somebody correct the Wikipedia article, is openssh.org the
    > > official domain now, or are both domains equally valid?

    > The official domain is "openssh.com". openssh.org is currently a
    > mirror of the same content although there's no guarantee that it
    > will remain that way as it is ultimately under the control of a third
    > party. The wikipedia article is wrong.

    I see the Wikipedia article has been corrected now. I started a
    thread on the "talk" page for that article about the issue, so
    hopefully that'll reduce the probability of it getting changed back
    later.

+ Reply to Thread