scp UNBELIEVABLY slow - SSH

This is a discussion on scp UNBELIEVABLY slow - SSH ; I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6 megabytes per second transfer speed. SCP is only doing 188 kB ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    megabytes per second transfer speed.

    SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

  2. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    do a google search for "scp performance"?

    Use NFS instead of SCP?

  3. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >>SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >>WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    > do a google search for "scp performance"?
    >
    > Use NFS instead of SCP?

    I want to use SCP. It is a bad security to se NFS in this manner.

  4. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Ignoramus16148 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148
    >> wrote:
    >>>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>>megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >>>SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>>I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >>>WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    >> do a google search for "scp performance"?
    >>
    >> Use NFS instead of SCP?

    > I want to use SCP. It is a bad security to se NFS in this manner.

    Bad security on YOUR local LAN?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  5. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow -- PLOT THICKENS

    On 2008-03-25, NoStop wrote:

    > Bad security on YOUR local LAN?

    Even if someone was downloading torrents through my wifi, it would
    only account for a few megabits. So while your idea is interesting, I
    do not think that it could account for it.

    However, plot thickened.

    My laptop was connected to the basement server through three gigabit
    switches A, B, C. That's where I had this terrible performance.

    I moved it to the basement where it is connected through switches C
    and D (D is a 100 megabit switch).

    Here, the performance improved dramatically to 3.9 megaBYTES per
    second.

    Go figure.

    Why SCP was 36 times slower than HTTP going through A, B, C but not C
    and D, is a mystery.

  6. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Ignoramus16148 wrote:

    > I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    > laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    > megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >
    > SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.
    >
    > I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.
    >
    > WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    Get a real OS.
    Switch to Vista.
    urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.
    Frank

  7. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    "Ignoramus16148" wrote in message
    > On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148
    >> wrote:
    >>>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>>megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >>>SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>>I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >>>WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    >> do a google search for "scp performance"?
    >>
    >> Use NFS instead of SCP?

    > I want to use SCP. It is a bad security to se NFS in this manner.

    if you don't get it sorted out, I've had pretty good luck with:
    rsync -e ssh ...

    there's some documentation referenced from:
    http://rsync.samba.org/documentation.html

    regards,
    mark

  8. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    > I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    > laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    > megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >
    > SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    HTTP test? Maybe you meant 6Mbps (megabits not megabytes).

    Have you looked into SSHFS? It mounts a remote directory locally using
    SSH and fuse.
    http://elwoodicious.com/2006/07/05/s...buntu-and-you/

    I get about 12-15 MB/sec (~100Mbps).

    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Frank wrote:
    > Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >
    >> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.
    >> I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.
    >>
    >> WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    > Get a real OS.
    > Switch to Vista.
    > urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.
    > Frank

    But Ubuntu users are able to spell beyond pre school level.

  10. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On 2008-03-25, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >>
    >> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    > HTTP test? Maybe you meant 6Mbps (megabits not megabytes).

    No, HTTP test was about 6 megabytes per second, and SCP test was 180
    kilobytes per second. No typo. However, see another post titled "plot
    thickens".

    > Have you looked into SSHFS? It mounts a remote directory locally using
    > SSH and fuse.
    > http://elwoodicious.com/2006/07/05/s...buntu-and-you/
    >
    > I get about 12-15 MB/sec (~100Mbps).

  11. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Frank wrote:

    > urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.

    Whose butts (oo) are a Point Of Sales toy?
    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  12. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:15:14 -0700, Frank wrote:
    >Ignoramus16148 wrote:

    >> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >>
    >> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.
    >>
    >> I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.
    >>
    >> WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    >Get a real OS.
    >Switch to Vista.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! With vista, you will be told that you shouldn't be
    copying the files and that the authorities have been alerted.

    >urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.
    >Frank

  13. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Walter Mautner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Frank wrote:

    >> urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.

    > Whose butts (oo) are a Point Of Sales toy?

    Walter. I can't believe you're getting embroiled with this obvious
    troll.

    He's a divot. Leave him and his braincell to "lol" and invent *funny*
    names for stuff.

    He's a complete and utter waste of good skin.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  14. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:33:39 GMT, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >>
    >> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >HTTP test? Maybe you meant 6Mbps (megabits not megabytes).

    >Have you looked into SSHFS? It mounts a remote directory locally using
    >SSH and fuse.
    >http://elwoodicious.com/2006/07/05/s...buntu-and-you/

    >I get about 12-15 MB/sec (~100Mbps).

    Why bother with the overhead of SSH on a home network? I get 50-70MB/s (bytes,
    not bits) via NFS to my file server and that is without large packets as I
    have a mixed 100/1000 network.

  15. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Frank wrote:
    > Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >
    >> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.
    >> I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.
    >>
    >> WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    > Get a real OS.
    > Switch to Vista.
    > urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.
    > Frank

    Dick.

  16. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >>> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.
    >>> I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.
    >>>
    >>> WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    >> Get a real OS.
    >> Switch to Vista.
    >> urbuttoo is a fukkin toy POS os.
    >> Frank

    > Dick.

    Head.

  17. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    AZ Nomad writes:

    >On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:33:39 GMT, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >>> I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>> laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>> megabytes per second transfer speed.
    >>>
    >>> SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>HTTP test? Maybe you meant 6Mbps (megabits not megabytes).

    >>Have you looked into SSHFS? It mounts a remote directory locally using
    >>SSH and fuse.
    >>http://elwoodicious.com/2006/07/05/s...buntu-and-you/

    >>I get about 12-15 MB/sec (~100Mbps).

    >Why bother with the overhead of SSH on a home network? I get 50-70MB/s (bytes,
    >not bits) via NFS to my file server and that is without large packets as I
    >have a mixed 100/1000 network.

    I think he wants to know why scp is so slow, not how he can get around it.

    Is ssh slow-- EG use rsync over ssh. Is it also slow?

  18. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:06:23 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >AZ Nomad writes:

    >>>HTTP test? Maybe you meant 6Mbps (megabits not megabytes).

    >>>Have you looked into SSHFS? It mounts a remote directory locally using
    >>>SSH and fuse.
    >>>http://elwoodicious.com/2006/07/05/s...buntu-and-you/

    >>>I get about 12-15 MB/sec (~100Mbps).

    >>Why bother with the overhead of SSH on a home network? I get 50-70MB/s (bytes,
    >>not bits) via NFS to my file server and that is without large packets as I
    >>have a mixed 100/1000 network.

    >I think he wants to know why scp is so slow, not how he can get around it.

    >Is ssh slow-- EG use rsync over ssh. Is it also slow?

    Yes. The encryption overhead makes anything over ssh much slower than
    other protocols.

  19. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On 2008-03-26, Unruh wrote:
    > AZ Nomad writes:

    >>>HTTP test? Maybe you meant 6Mbps (megabits not megabytes).

    >>>Have you looked into SSHFS? It mounts a remote directory locally using
    >>>SSH and fuse.
    >>>http://elwoodicious.com/2006/07/05/s...buntu-and-you/

    >>>I get about 12-15 MB/sec (~100Mbps).

    >>Why bother with the overhead of SSH on a home network? I get 50-70MB/s (bytes,
    >>not bits) via NFS to my file server and that is without large packets as I
    >>have a mixed 100/1000 network.

    > I think he wants to know why scp is so slow, not how he can get around it.
    >
    > Is ssh slow-- EG use rsync over ssh. Is it also slow?

    What I found is that if I use a chain of switches A, B, C I get
    180 kbytes/sec throughput with ssh. If I use switches C, D, I get 3.9
    MB/second (over 20x faster).

    However, for A,B,C as well as for C, D the HTTP speed is roughly the
    same IIRC.

  20. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On 2008-03-26, Ignoramus6291 wrote:
    > On 2008-03-26, Unruh wrote:
    >> AZ Nomad writes:

    >>>Why bother with the overhead of SSH on a home network? I get 50-70MB/s (bytes,
    >>>not bits) via NFS to my file server and that is without large packets as I
    >>>have a mixed 100/1000 network.

    >> I think he wants to know why scp is so slow, not how he can get around it.
    >>
    >> Is ssh slow-- EG use rsync over ssh. Is it also slow?
    >>

    > What I found is that if I use a chain of switches A, B, C I get
    > 180 kbytes/sec throughput with ssh. If I use switches C, D, I get 3.9
    > MB/second (over 20x faster).
    >
    > However, for A,B,C as well as for C, D the HTTP speed is roughly the
    > same IIRC.

    and speed of NFS over A, B and C is 4.5 megabytes per second.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast