Problems with libcrypto - SSH

This is a discussion on Problems with libcrypto - SSH ; Alright folks, built SSH a ton of times before and always worked through it, but not having any luck this time. Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on an IBM AIX 5.3 TL6 system with zlib 1.2.3 installed and OpenSSL 0.9.8b installed in ...

  1. Problems with libcrypto

    Alright folks, built SSH a ton of times before and always worked
    through it, but not having any luck this time.
    Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on an IBM AIX 5.3 TL6 system with zlib 1.2.3
    installed and OpenSSL 0.9.8b installed in the default /usr/local/ssl
    dir tree. Issuing this command:
    ../configure --with-zlib=/usr/local/include --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/
    ssl and getting the dreaded:
    Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto

    libcrypto.a IS present in /usr/local/ssl/lib and that dir IS in the
    path.

    The config.log file has 700 more lines BELOW the Openssl error (which
    says nothing more than the same error)
    all of which have nothing to do with SSL.

    Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance. -james

  2. Re: Problems with libcrypto

    if anyone cares or this helps, I have solved the problem.

    When using a 64 bit compiled OpenSSL distribution AND trying to
    compile OpenSSH with IBM's vac 8.0 compiler, the compiler can't seem
    to find the .RAND_add function in the symbol table for the libcrypto.a
    archive. Even though I compiled zlib and ssl with vac8.0, the
    solution was to either A) compile ssh with gcc or use ver 6 or earlier
    of the vac compiler. Both vac 6 and gcc were able to read the symbol
    table of the libcrypto archive properly.

    On Mar 11, 1:01*pm, cize...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Alright folks, built SSH a ton of times before and always worked
    > through it, but not having any luck this time.
    > Building OpenSSH 4.3p2 on an IBM AIX 5.3 TL6 system with zlib 1.2.3
    > installed and OpenSSL 0.9.8b installed in the default /usr/local/ssl
    > dir tree. Issuing this command:
    > ./configure --with-zlib=/usr/local/include --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/
    > ssl and getting the dreaded:
    > Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto
    >
    > libcrypto.a IS present in /usr/local/ssl/lib and that dir IS in the
    > path.
    >
    > The config.log file has 700 more lines BELOW the Openssl error (which
    > says nothing more than the same error)
    > all of which have nothing to do with SSL.
    >
    > Any thoughts? *Many thanks in advance. -james

+ Reply to Thread