scripts without passwords - SSH

This is a discussion on scripts without passwords - SSH ; My objective is to run a script containing a scp command that runs without a passwords. If the scp is not contained within a script it must have a password. The following page says it does the former but not ...

  1. scripts without passwords

    My objective is to run a script containing a scp command that runs
    without a passwords.
    If the scp is not contained within a script it must have a password.
    The following page
    says it does the former but not the latter. When I follows the
    instruction it does both the
    former and the latter. Can this be fixed?
    http://www.cvrti.utah.edu/~dustman/no-more-pw-ssh/
    thx.,
    BN

  2. Re: scripts without passwords

    rc647bob@aim.com wrote:
    > My objective is to run a script containing a scp command that runs
    > without a passwords.

    Okay.

    > If the scp is not contained within a script it must have a password.

    Is this a requirement of yours?

    > The following page
    > says it does the former but not the latter. When I follows the
    > instruction it does both the
    > former and the latter. Can this be fixed?

    I don't understand what your problem is. Can you restate it?

    SSH authentication is most often done via:
    someone typing a password ('passwd', 'kbd-interactive', or passphrase on key)
    ssh-agent providing user key info for RSA auth.
    passphrase-less user key for RSA auth.

    If you don't have access to the user key, then the default will be to
    prompt for a password.

    Perhaps the script could invoke ssh/scp with options to point to a
    particular key, which isn't normally in the user's default location.
    Then ssh/scp outside of the script woudn't authenticate without the
    password.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: scripts without passwords

    rc647bob@aim.com wrote:
    > My objective is to run a script containing a scp command that runs
    > without a passwords.
    > If the scp is not contained within a script it must have a password.
    > The following page
    > says it does the former but not the latter. When I follows the
    > instruction it does both the
    > former and the latter. Can this be fixed?
    > http://www.cvrti.utah.edu/~dustman/no-more-pw-ssh/
    > thx.,
    > BN

    Learn to use ssh-agent with unlocked SSH keys, ideally with something like
    "keychain"t. And I strongly suggest learning to use "rsync -e ssh" rather than
    SCP.

+ Reply to Thread