Port Forwarding - SSH

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding - SSH ; Hi, I'm using SecureCRT 5.2.1 and i want to make ssh tunnel to access some UNIX servers which i can't access directly from my computer. I'm fairly new to this so i have no clue what to do. here is ...

  1. Port Forwarding

    Hi,

    I'm using SecureCRT 5.2.1 and i want to make ssh tunnel to access some
    UNIX servers which i can't access directly from my computer.

    I'm fairly new to this so i have no clue what to do.

    here is the scenario:

    I have to access Host 2 , but to get to host 2 i have to first access
    Host1.

    My Windows copmuter ---> Host1 --->Host2

    I want to be able to access Host2 without going through the process of
    logging into Host1 every time i open a new tab, just like in Putty if
    i create a tunnel i can access other hosts till the time i have the
    window open to the jump box. Is there a way of doing it on SecureCRT?
    I don't know how to set on SecureCRT....

    Can anyone please help me....

  2. Re: Port Forwarding

    Dish writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using SecureCRT 5.2.1 and i want to make ssh tunnel to access some
    > UNIX servers which i can't access directly from my computer.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to this so i have no clue what to do.
    >
    > here is the scenario:
    >
    > I have to access Host 2 , but to get to host 2 i have to first access
    > Host1.
    >
    > My Windows copmuter ---> Host1 --->Host2
    >
    > I want to be able to access Host2 without going through the process of
    > logging into Host1 every time i open a new tab, just like in Putty if
    > i create a tunnel i can access other hosts till the time i have the
    > window open to the jump box. Is there a way of doing it on SecureCRT?
    > I don't know how to set on SecureCRT....
    >
    > Can anyone please help me....

    okay, pick a port to use locally. Oh, what teh hell, let's use
    9022.

    And we'll connect to HOst1 and say "hey, securcrt, create a local
    listener on my windows computer at port 9022, and I want you to
    forward that bad boy to Host2 port 22."

    So, then to get to computer 2, I can then just ssh to localhost:9022
    and by the magic of port forwarding, that conenction hits host2 on
    its standard ssh port.

    How to do it:

    File>connect
    press the new session button, or modify the configuration of an
    existing session that you have for Host 1.

    Under connection> port forwarding> click the ADD button.

    Under the name for this forwarded connection, put any name. Say "host2via9022"

    In the local section leave the checkbox blank and enter 9022 for the
    port.

    In the remote section checkmark the box "Destination host is different
    from the ssh server" enter the IP for Host2, and enter Port: 22.

    For application, leave it blank.

    Hit okay, and the next time you use that profile for HOst1 just
    login there.

    Then, you can create a new profile for ssh2 host address 127.0.0.1
    (this is a special "localhost" or loopback address that points to your
    windows computer) and in the port field put 9022.

    Then just login with that profile.

    To look at this another way, it's good for understanding. If you
    weren't using SecureCRT and instead using a command line ssh client,
    it would be:

    windowscomputer$ ssh -L9022:IP.OF.HOST2:22 host1username@host1

    Then in a separate window:

    windowscomputer$ ssh -p 9022 127.0.0.1 and that would get you to host2

    If all that doesn't answer your question, point me to the boxes you're
    filling in in putty that do what you want and maybe I can translate
    that into securecrt-ese for ya.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Port Forwarding

    On Feb 29, 8:58 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Dish writes:
    > > Hi,

    > > I'm using SecureCRT 5.2.1 and i want to make ssh tunnel to access some
    > > UNIX servers which i can't access directly from my computer.

    > > I'm fairly new to this so i have no clue what to do.

    > > here is the scenario:

    > > I have to access Host 2 , but to get to host 2 i have to first access
    > > Host1.

    > > My Windows copmuter ---> Host1 --->Host2

    > > I want to be able to access Host2 without going through the process of
    > > logging into Host1 every time i open a new tab, just like in Putty if
    > > i create a tunnel i can access other hosts till the time i have the
    > > window open to the jump box. Is there a way of doing it on SecureCRT?
    > > I don't know how to set on SecureCRT....

    > > Can anyone please help me....

    > okay, pick a port to use locally. Oh, what teh hell, let's use
    > 9022.
    >
    > And we'll connect to HOst1 and say "hey, securcrt, create a local
    > listener on my windows computer at port 9022, and I want you to
    > forward that bad boy to Host2 port 22."
    >
    > So, then to get to computer 2, I can then just ssh to localhost:9022
    > and by the magic of port forwarding, that conenction hits host2 on
    > its standard ssh port.
    >
    > How to do it:
    >
    > File>connect
    > press the new session button, or modify the configuration of an
    > existing session that you have for Host 1.
    >
    > Under connection> port forwarding> click the ADD button.
    >
    > Under the name for this forwarded connection, put any name. Say "host2via9022"
    >
    > In the local section leave the checkbox blank and enter 9022 for the
    > port.
    >
    > In the remote section checkmark the box "Destination host is different
    > from the ssh server" enter the IP for Host2, and enter Port: 22.
    >
    > For application, leave it blank.
    >
    > Hit okay, and the next time you use that profile for HOst1 just
    > login there.
    >
    > Then, you can create a new profile for ssh2 host address 127.0.0.1
    > (this is a special "localhost" or loopback address that points to your
    > windows computer) and in the port field put 9022.
    >
    > Then just login with that profile.
    >
    > To look at this another way, it's good for understanding. If you
    > weren't using SecureCRT and instead using a command line ssh client,
    > it would be:
    >
    > windowscomputer$ ssh -L9022:IP.OF.HOST2:22 host1username@host1
    >
    > Then in a separate window:
    >
    > windowscomputer$ ssh -p 9022 127.0.0.1 and that would get you to host2
    >
    > If all that doesn't answer your question, point me to the boxes you're
    > filling in in putty that do what you want and maybe I can translate
    > that into securecrt-ese for ya.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    Awesome... You're the man..... Thanks a lot... It works... I really
    appreciate your help....

    Thanks again...