Not being asked to verify footprint on unknown server - SSH

This is a discussion on Not being asked to verify footprint on unknown server - SSH ; I've installed openssh-4.5p1 but am having a problem logging into it from another server on the same LAN. When I use ssh on another system to log in to the new instance of sshd: ssh -v -v -v -l mark ...

  1. Not being asked to verify footprint on unknown server

    I've installed openssh-4.5p1 but am having a problem logging into it from another server on the same LAN.

    When I use ssh on another system to log in to the new instance of sshd:

    ssh -v -v -v -l mark new_server

    I can see it go through the process of trying to verify new_server's identity. That process fails -- which is expected, because
    new_server is an unknown host at this point.

    What follows is weird, however: I don't get asked if I want to log on to new_server (i.e., store its signature in the known_hosts
    file).

    Why would that happen?

    - Mark

  2. Re: Not being asked to verify footprint on unknown server

    > I've installed openssh-4.5p1 but am having a problem logging into it from another server on the same LAN.
    > When I use ssh on another system to log in to the new instance of sshd:
    >
    > ssh -v -v -v -l mark new_server
    >
    > I can see it go through the process of trying to verify new_server's identity. That process fails -- which is expected, because
    > new_server is an unknown host at this point.
    >
    > What follows is weird, however: I don't get asked if I want to log on to new_server (i.e., store its signature in the known_hosts
    > file).
    >
    > Why would that happen?

    Do you have StrictHostKeyChecking=no in your client config?

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Not being asked to verify footprint on unknown server

    Yes, StrictHostKeyChecking = no in ssh_config

    I finally figured out what was wrong: I goofed in configuring sshd to run under xinetd and tcp wrappers, and it turns out the client
    machine I was using to try to connect to the new sshd server was munged up. When I reverted to an unwrapped standalone sshd --
    accessed from a "good" client -- the problem was solved.

    - Mark

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:43:50 -0500, "Richard E. Silverman" wrote:

    >> I've installed openssh-4.5p1 but am having a problem logging into it from another server on the same LAN.
    >> When I use ssh on another system to log in to the new instance of sshd:
    >>
    >> ssh -v -v -v -l mark new_server
    >>
    >> I can see it go through the process of trying to verify new_server's identity. That process fails -- which is expected, because
    >> new_server is an unknown host at this point.
    >>
    >> What follows is weird, however: I don't get asked if I want to log on to new_server (i.e., store its signature in the known_hosts
    >> file).
    >>
    >> Why would that happen?

    >Do you have StrictHostKeyChecking=no in your client config?

+ Reply to Thread