Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results. - SSH

This is a discussion on Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results. - SSH ; Hello. I seem to have problems getting my SSH tunneling to work from work. I followed the instructions on http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/h...im-with-putty/ .... and I am not getting any Web pages encrypted from Linux boxes with SSH connections. I also tried it ...

  1. Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results.

    Hello.

    I seem to have problems getting my SSH tunneling to work from work. I
    followed the instructions on
    http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/h...im-with-putty/
    .... and I am not getting any Web pages encrypted from Linux boxes with
    SSH connections. I also tried it on two systems (my computer with
    SeaMonkey v1.1.7 and a clean VMware v5.5.5 image with clean XP Pro. SP2
    and new Firefox v2 installation). I even tried newsgroups in both
    SeaMonkey and Outlook Express v6.0.

    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...enshotsvv0.gif screen shots
    show what I did. I wonder if I am doing something wrong or maybe IT
    blocked this too (how?)? I can SSH via PuTTY just fine. Tunneling seems
    to fail. Also, notie that without a ssh connection or using wrong port,
    then I do get proxy errors. So, it seems like my proxy setup looked
    correct.

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "Ah. Those club kids did eat those ants up like popcorn." --CSI: Miami
    (Wannabe episode; #218)
    ( )

  2. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results.

    I canīt see anything wrong with the set up, I have had problems
    tunneling companies that use a proxyserver for their internet
    connexion. I would look at the last screenshot, LAN settings click
    advanced, and see if their broser has some proxyserver in the http.

    Something else I can think of, much more likely perhaps, is that the
    company firewall blocks outbount connexions from port 22, assuming you
    are using that port for the ssh to your shell. YOu will need to use a
    shell allowing connexions on a different port, one allowed by your
    company firewall, like 80 or 443. (if that were to be the problem)

  3. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    Ant wrote:

    > I seem to have problems getting my SSH tunneling to work from work. I
    > followed the instructions on
    > http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/h...im-with-putty/

    There's a difference with your Firefox's Connection Settings and the one
    in the URL you mention, but I don't know if that should make any difference:

    The instructions read to use a SOCKS proxy, where you use an HTTP proxy
    (with the checkbox for all protocols).

    > ... and I am not getting any Web pages encrypted from Linux boxes with
    > SSH connections. I also tried it on two systems (my computer with
    > SeaMonkey v1.1.7 [..]

    By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    it's confusing ..

    > [..] and a clean VMware v5.5.5 image with clean XP Pro. SP2
    > and new Firefox v2 installation). I even tried newsgroups in both
    > SeaMonkey and Outlook Express v6.0.
    >
    > http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...enshotsvv0.gif screen shots
    > show what I did. I wonder if I am doing something wrong or maybe IT
    > blocked this too (how?)? [..]

    The "how" question I can't answer, but you can probably verify if PuTTY
    successfuly created the the proxy by looking at it's Event Log:

    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...using-eventlog

    Note that I've never used proxies (this way), so I don't know what PuTTY
    logs about this, if anything, but I assume it does,

    > [..] I can SSH via PuTTY just fine. Tunneling seems
    > to fail. Also, notie that without a ssh connection or using wrong port,
    > then I do get proxy errors. So, it seems like my proxy setup looked
    > correct.

    It looks like PuTTY was listening (on the proxy port) and from my
    experience I therefor whould say it was able to create the proxy, but it
    never hurts to double check.

    On the client side (where you run PuTTY) you might check "netstat's"
    output to see if PuTTY actually listens:

    Windows
    netstat -an | find ":7070"

    UNIX
    netstat -an | grep ":7070"

    You should also be able to verify if Firefox connects to that port.

    Anyway, I don't expect a problem here, since it looks like the client is
    OK (like you described above).

    If you're trying to connect to a normal HTTP server (as opposed to
    HTTPS), you can try connecting to the proxy with telnet or nc (netcat)
    and type some HTTP stuff like:

    HEAD / HTTP/1.0

    ... and make sure to type an extra newline after that line (so you should
    imput two lines in the above example).

    Since I don't have any experience with PuTTY's proxy, I don't know what
    you can and should see on the server side, but something like this might
    be interesting:

    netstat -tupan | egrep '(:7070|putty)'

    HTH ..

    ---
    Regards,
    Harrie

  4. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    On 2/5/2008 6:03 PM PT, Harrie typed:

    >> I seem to have problems getting my SSH tunneling to work from work. I
    >> followed the instructions on
    >> http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/h...im-with-putty/

    > There's a difference with your Firefox's Connection Settings and the one
    > in the URL you mention, but I don't know if that should make any difference:
    >
    > The instructions read to use a SOCKS proxy, where you use an HTTP proxy
    > (with the checkbox for all protocols).

    AHHHHHHHH! I thought I needed to put it for all protocols I am going to
    use like Web (http). I tried removing datas in them except SOCKS, then
    it worked!

    Thanks dude!
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  5. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    > By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    > those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    > it's confusing ..

    I was posting via my SSH with tin progam (a text mode newsreader --
    http://www.tin.org/). Hence, why you got confused.
    --
    "Fall in those single lines like army ants..." --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  6. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results.

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 03:03:25 +0100 Harrie wrote:

    | By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    | those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    | it's confusing ..

    Some people do have more than one computer. I know it is a luxury in this
    day of the Chen^H^H^H^HBush administration robbing the people and giving
    to the corporations. But it is still possible, even with VMWARE and QEMU.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2008-02-06-0754@ipal.net |

  7. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 03:03:25 +0100 Harrie wrote:
    >
    > | By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    > | those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    > | it's confusing ..
    >
    > Some people do have more than one computer. [..]

    I, for one, do.

    > [..] I know it is a luxury in this
    > day of the Chen^H^H^H^HBush administration robbing the people and giving
    > to the corporations. But it is still possible, even with VMWARE and QEMU.

    I know about that too (and Xen) and luckily I don't have much to do with
    USA administrations, but what are you trying to say? The OP described
    two "systems" which he was trying it from and it wasn't clear what
    platform one of those was, and sometimes solutions depend on cetain
    platforms, threrefor I asked. He could run an WinXP VMWare session from
    GNU/Linux ..

    --
    Regards,
    Harrie

  8. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    Ant wrote:
    > On 2/5/2008 6:03 PM PT, Harrie typed:
    >
    > AHHHHHHHH! I thought I needed to put it for all protocols I am going to
    > use like Web (http). [..]

    I think that's for when you are using "normal" proxies, not SSH proxies,
    but again, I don't have any experience with it, so I'm not sure.

    > [..] I tried removing datas in them except SOCKS, then
    > it worked!

    Great!

    > Thanks dude!

    You're welcome

    --
    Regards,
    Harrie

  9. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    Ant wrote:
    >> By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    >> those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    >> it's confusing ..

    > I was posting via my SSH with tin progam (a text mode newsreader --
    > http://www.tin.org/). Hence, why you got confused.

    You didn't describe it (for that system), and after looking at your
    headers I noticed it *could* be GNU/Linux, that's why I got confused ;P

    I've tried tin a few times in the past, but for now I'm sticking with
    Mozilla Thunderbird, although that limits me to a GUI environment.

    I'm a favorite of pine/alpine (for system mail and the occasional remote
    login and check your mail routine) and I've used it for text based news
    groups in the past as well, not sure why I gave up on it for news ..

    --
    Regards,
    Harrie

  10. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results.

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:38:43 +0100 Harrie wrote:
    | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    |> On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 03:03:25 +0100 Harrie wrote:
    |>
    |> | By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    |> | those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    |> | it's confusing ..
    |>
    |> Some people do have more than one computer. [..]
    |
    | I, for one, do.
    |
    |> [..] I know it is a luxury in this
    |> day of the Chen^H^H^H^HBush administration robbing the people and giving
    |> to the corporations. But it is still possible, even with VMWARE and QEMU.
    |
    | I know about that too (and Xen) and luckily I don't have much to do with
    | USA administrations, but what are you trying to say? The OP described
    | two "systems" which he was trying it from and it wasn't clear what
    | platform one of those was, and sometimes solutions depend on cetain
    | platforms, threrefor I asked. He could run an WinXP VMWare session from
    | GNU/Linux ..

    If you find a way to run WinXP under Xen, let me know.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2008-02-08-0825@ipal.net |

  11. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web pageand no errors as results.

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:38:43 +0100 Harrie wrote:
    > | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:

    > |> Some people do have more than one computer. [..]
    > |
    > | I, for one, do.
    > |
    > |> [..] I know it is a luxury in this
    > |> day of the Chen^H^H^H^HBush administration robbing the people and giving
    > |> to the corporations. But it is still possible, even with VMWARE and QEMU.
    > |
    > | I know about that too (and Xen) and luckily I don't have much to do with
    > | USA administrations, but what are you trying to say? The OP described
    > | two "systems" which he was trying it from and it wasn't clear what
    > | platform one of those was, and sometimes solutions depend on cetain
    > | platforms, threrefor I asked. He could run an WinXP VMWare session from
    > | GNU/Linux ..
    >
    > If you find a way to run WinXP under Xen, let me know.

    This is off-topic for this newsgroup, but I'm rather active in the xen-users mailing list and recently spent a year working with Xen, and am reviewing virtualization capabilities in my current workplace. If your CPU is recent enough to support VT or HVM (look in /proc/cpuinfo on Linux), yes it can work quite well, and it's built into current releases of RHEL, Debian, SuSe, etc.

    There is also a new set of "para-virtualizaton" drivers for the open source version of Xen which may be very helpful for improving Windows performance on Xen.

  12. Re: Unable to get SSH tunneling to work from office. Blank Web page and no errors as results.

    Harrie wrote:
    > Ant wrote:
    > >> By looking at your screenshot I assume this is a Windows box or are
    > >> those from the VMWare system? Your newsreader's header(s) show Linux, so
    > >> it's confusing ..

    > > I was posting via my SSH with tin progam (a text mode newsreader --
    > > http://www.tin.org/). Hence, why you got confused.

    > You didn't describe it (for that system), and after looking at your
    > headers I noticed it *could* be GNU/Linux, that's why I got confused ;P

    Heh.

    > I've tried tin a few times in the past, but for now I'm sticking with
    > Mozilla Thunderbird, although that limits me to a GUI environment.

    Well, I needed a text newsreader if I am using SSH. Plus, it's faster.

    > I'm a favorite of pine/alpine (for system mail and the occasional remote
    > login and check your mail routine) and I've used it for text based news
    > groups in the past as well, not sure why I gave up on it for news ..

    I miss PINE, but the remote systems don't use them anymoore. It's Mutt
    now. I used PINE during my college days a lot.
    --
    "Ah. Those club kids did eat those ants up like popcorn." --CSI: Miami
    (Wannabe episode; #218)
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )