no password ssh - SSH

This is a discussion on no password ssh - SSH ; Greetings I am trying to get ssh to work without prompting for a password. I can get this to work but there seems to be a quirk that I wanted to know if it was a known issue/feature. If I ...

  1. no password ssh

    Greetings

    I am trying to get ssh to work without prompting for a password.
    I can get this to work but there seems to be a quirk that I wanted to
    know if it was a known issue/feature.

    If I place my public rsa key into the authorized_keys file of another
    user on another server, I can not ssh to that user without being
    prompted for a password. However it seems that my user that I am
    ssh'ing with also exists on that other server then I am not prompted
    for a password. Even though I do not have the password for the same
    userid on the other server.

    Is this a feature or something ?

  2. Re: no password ssh

    reg1ster@comcast.net wrote:
    > If I place my public rsa key into the authorized_keys file of another
    > user on another server, I can not ssh to that user without being
    > prompted for a password. However it seems that my user that I am
    > ssh'ing with also exists on that other server then I am not prompted
    > for a password. Even though I do not have the password for the same
    > userid on the other server.
    >
    > Is this a feature or something ?

    I cannot replicate that behavior. I have serveral setups why my
    username does not exist on the target server, but private keys are
    used.

    You should go through the standard troubleshooting techniques to
    discover why your attempted setups are not accepting the key as
    authorization.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: no password ssh

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:15:26 -0800 (PST) reg1ster@comcast.net wrote:

    | I am trying to get ssh to work without prompting for a password.
    | I can get this to work but there seems to be a quirk that I wanted to
    | know if it was a known issue/feature.
    |
    | If I place my public rsa key into the authorized_keys file of another
    | user on another server, I can not ssh to that user without being
    | prompted for a password. However it seems that my user that I am
    | ssh'ing with also exists on that other server then I am not prompted
    | for a password. Even though I do not have the password for the same
    | userid on the other server.
    |
    | Is this a feature or something ?

    Not a feature. I login as other users quite often by using these keys.
    This even includes root.

    What you might check for is that the files in ~/.ssh for the target user
    are correctly owned by that target user, and have all the correct modes
    and permissions. If, for example, you logged in as root and copied the
    key from user "abc" to the authorized_keys file of user "xyz", it may be
    owned by "abc" instead of "xyz". In this case, sshd would correctly
    ignore the file (OK, that part is a feature).

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2008-01-29-2027@ipal.net |

  4. Re: no password ssh

    On Jan 29, 8:22*pm, ddun...@taos.com (Darren Dunham) wrote:
    > reg1s...@comcast.net wrote:
    > > If I place my public rsa key into the authorized_keys file of another
    > > user on another server, I can not ssh to that user without being
    > > prompted for a password. However it seems that my user that I am
    > > ssh'ing with also exists on that other server then I am not prompted
    > > for a password. Even though I do not have the password for the same
    > > userid on the other server.

    > > Is this a feature or something ?

    > I cannot replicate that behavior. *I have serveral setups why my
    > username does not exist on the target server, but private keys are
    > used.
    >
    > You should go through the standard troubleshooting techniques to
    > discover why your attempted setups are not accepting the key as
    > authorization.
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ddun...@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant * * * * TAOS * * * * * *http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? * * * * * * * * * * * * * San Francisco, CA bay area
    > * * * * *< This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    I have verified that the ownership and permissions are that of the
    user I am trying to ssh to.
    You mentioned standard troubleshooting techniques, are there ones
    specific to this sort of problem ?

  5. Re: no password ssh

    reg1ster@comcast.net wrote:
    >> You should go through the standard troubleshooting techniques to
    >> discover why your attempted setups are not accepting the key as
    >> authorization.

    > I have verified that the ownership and permissions are that of the
    > user I am trying to ssh to.
    > You mentioned standard troubleshooting techniques, are there ones
    > specific to this sort of problem ?

    Run the server in debug mode and examine the logs. It should give some
    information about finding the key.

    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general...ging.auto.html

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com