X11 Forward : entire desktop ? - SSH

This is a discussion on X11 Forward : entire desktop ? - SSH ; Hi, On 192.168.0.1 (Win32) , I've installed an X11 server using cygwin On 192.168.0.2 (Debian), I've installed and set up sshd daemon. On 192.168.0.1, when I use this : xhost +192.168.0.2 ssh -Y user@192.168.0.2 echo $DISPLAY ----> answers localhost:10.0 keyes ...

  1. X11 Forward : entire desktop ?

    Hi,

    On 192.168.0.1 (Win32) , I've installed an X11 server using cygwin
    On 192.168.0.2 (Debian), I've installed and set up sshd daemon.

    On 192.168.0.1, when I use this :
    xhost +192.168.0.2
    ssh -Y user@192.168.0.2
    echo $DISPLAY
    ----> answers localhost:10.0
    keyes &

    keyes is transfered and displayed on the screen of 192.168.0.1

    but when I try to launch X Desktop (startx), the Desktop is launched on
    192.168.0.2... not transfered to 192.168.0.1

    I have already transfered X11 Desktop for a long time but I can't find how
    redo it ... What did I forgot ? Even when exporting DISPLAY to
    192.168.0.1:0.0, X Desktop continues to be displayed on .2, not on .1...

    Thanks for you help... and for my fowl memory ...

    - Steph

  2. Re: X11 Forward : entire desktop ?

    "Steph" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On 192.168.0.1 (Win32) , I've installed an X11 server using cygwin
    > On 192.168.0.2 (Debian), I've installed and set up sshd daemon.
    >

    > but when I try to launch X Desktop (startx), the Desktop is launched on
    > 192.168.0.2... not transfered to 192.168.0.1
    >
    > I have already transfered X11 Desktop for a long time but I can't find how
    > redo it ... What did I forgot ? Even when exporting DISPLAY to
    > 192.168.0.1:0.0, X Desktop continues to be displayed on .2, not on .1...
    >
    > Thanks for you help... and for my fowl memory ...
    >
    > - Steph

    Your X server that came with cygwin most likely as a full session mode
    via XDMCP over a direct local connection.

    I don't use Cygwin and neither Windows so I don't know.

    If you really need to go throught the ssh connection, you may have good
    luck running the "Xnest" program on the remote linux. Look at the man
    page. (It may come in its own distribution package.)

    Something like:

    startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest :5 -geometry 800x600

    (Actually went hand found my MacBook original disk to get X11 install
    and test it.)

    Good luck and patience.

  3. Re: X11 Forward : entire desktop ?

    Steph wrote:

    > On 192.168.0.1 (Win32) , I've installed an X11 server using cygwin
    > On 192.168.0.2 (Debian), I've installed and set up sshd daemon.
    >
    > On 192.168.0.1, when I use this :
    > xhost +192.168.0.2

    If you use X11 Forward I don't think it's necessary to use xhost, since
    the connection is comming (via a tunnel) from the localhost.

    > ssh -Y user@192.168.0.2
    > echo $DISPLAY
    > ----> answers localhost:10.0
    > keyes &
    >
    > keyes is transfered and displayed on the screen of 192.168.0.1

    Right, it's an application, which can be displayed on another
    display/Xserver. This is, when you don't count the tunnel, exactly as it
    normally would be; every X application can be displayed on any Xserver
    (provided that the 2 computers involved are networked together, that the
    needed ports are open/not firewalled and that you have the permission to
    do so (e.g. the xhost + command). The tunnel is probably only needed for
    encryption and/or to bypass firewalls (and/or compression), but as far
    as X is concerned, nothing is different.

    > but when I try to launch X Desktop (startx), the Desktop is launched on
    > 192.168.0.2... not transfered to 192.168.0.1

    Right again

    startx is a command to start an Xserver, something which "binds" to the
    display adapter on the local host (the host where you run "startx"). You
    don't want another Xserver, you already have one via Cygwin, so you
    shouldn't use startx remote.

    > I have already transfered X11 Desktop for a long time but I can't find how
    > redo it ... [..]

    Above you wanted to start the desktop, here you talk about transfering,
    and that's also the key to the solution:

    There are (as always in UNIX land) several options you can try
    (depending what you really want), and I can think of two:

    1) start an Xserver on the remote machine, run x11vnc so it binds to the
    same desktop and use a VNC viewer to access your desktop.

    2) enable (if not already done) xdm on the remote machine and set your
    Xserver on you client machine to use XDMCP, it should broadcast to the
    network and find all available XDMCP servers and after making a
    selection you should get a graphical login window and after that your
    desktop. Since this methods uses a broadcast mechanism it's probably
    hard to do this via a port forwarded tunnel without any trickery, but
    I've never tried it, so I don't know.

    > [..] What did I forgot ? [..]

    To write it down?

    Make a script from your command, it's a way of writing it down and most
    of the time it's easier to type in a self made "command" then it would
    be to remember a probably long command with switches you tend to forget.

    > [..] Even when exporting DISPLAY to
    > 192.168.0.1:0.0, X Desktop continues to be displayed on .2, not on .1...

    Of course, the DISPLAY var "points" to your X server. It makes no sence
    for an Xserver it self to look at it.

    > Thanks for you help... and for my fowl memory ...

    If the 2 concerning boxes are on your LAN and they (you) have full
    access, why do you use the tunnel at all? Both methods I discribed above
    will work without the tunnel, with less overhead (but without the
    encryption/compression). Just my 2 cents ..

    BTW: I'm new here (hi group), so don't take my word for anything I've
    said ~

    --
    Regards,
    Harrie