port forwarding - SSH

This is a discussion on port forwarding - SSH ; Hi, from my home I have (only) access to my office PC via ssh (and I have root permissions, too). I'd like to test a webserver behind the firewall. Can I use ssh in some way to forward the ssh ...

  1. port forwarding

    Hi,

    from my home I have (only) access to my office PC via ssh (and I have
    root permissions, too).

    I'd like to test a webserver behind the firewall.
    Can I use ssh in some way to forward the ssh port to port 8080 ?

    Many thanks for a hint,

    Helmut Jarausch

    Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
    RWTH - Aachen University
    D 52056 Aachen, Germany

  2. Re: port forwarding

    HJ> Hi, from my home I have (only) access to my office PC via ssh (and
    HJ> I have root permissions, too).

    HJ> I'd like to test a webserver behind the firewall. Can I use ssh
    HJ> in some way to forward the ssh port to port 8080 ?

    Assuming you're using OpenSSH, use "ssh -D 1234 ..." and set your browser
    to use localhost:1234 as a SOCKS proxy.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net