openssh refusing to shut if X has been used. - SSH

This is a discussion on openssh refusing to shut if X has been used. - SSH ; I ssh to a remote machine and use the X forwarding to open a program on the remote machine which opens an X window on the local machine. I use the program and then I shut is down ( and ...

  1. openssh refusing to shut if X has been used.

    I ssh to a remote machine and use the X forwarding to open a program on the
    remote machine which opens an X window on the local machine. I use the
    program and then I shut is down ( and yes it is shut down), the X windows
    disappears.
    I exit ssh on the remote machine, but ssh refuses to let go, and go into an
    everlasting wait for something. It seems not to know that that X windows
    and program is gone.

  2. Re: openssh refusing to shut if X has been used.

    Unruh> I ssh to a remote machine and use the X forwarding to open a
    Unruh> program on the remote machine which opens an X window on the
    Unruh> local machine. I use the program and then I shut is down ( and
    Unruh> yes it is shut down), the X windows disappears. I exit ssh on
    Unruh> the remote machine, but ssh refuses to let go, and go into an
    Unruh> everlasting wait for something. It seems not to know that that
    Unruh> X windows and program is gone.

    I assume you know about this:

    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/background-jobs.auto.html

    .... is it possible that the X program is spawning some background job that
    persists?

    If not, can you give details (OS, program versions, etc.)? I haven't seen
    this before.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: openssh refusing to shut if X has been used.

    "Richard E. Silverman" writes:

    > Unruh> I ssh to a remote machine and use the X forwarding to open a
    > Unruh> program on the remote machine which opens an X window on the
    > Unruh> local machine. I use the program and then I shut is down ( and
    > Unruh> yes it is shut down), the X windows disappears. I exit ssh on
    > Unruh> the remote machine, but ssh refuses to let go, and go into an
    > Unruh> everlasting wait for something. It seems not to know that that
    > Unruh> X windows and program is gone.

    >I assume you know about this:

    >http://www.snailbook.com/faq/background-jobs.auto.html

    >... is it possible that the X program is spawning some background job that
    >persists?

    openssh-4.5p1-0.2mdv2007.0
    Mandriva 2007.0 Linux

    ssh info
    korganizer

    exit
    The terminal displays "logout" and hangs there

    Login on on a different terminal and korgac --miniicon korganizer
    is still running. If I kill that the original terminal finally comes back
    after about 15 sec.

    Why wold it continue running?
    Anyway, this is not an ssh problem I guess ( except that it seems there is
    no X display on my home machine, so I wonder what it is that korgac is
    keeping open)?

    Thanks

    >If not, can you give details (OS, program versions, etc.)? I haven't seen
    >this before.

    >--
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

  4. Re: openssh refusing to shut if X has been used.

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 22:09 -0500, Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > ... is it possible that the X program is spawning some background job that
    > persists?

    I've also noticed this recently with gnome programs. In my case it is
    dbus-launch which is hanging around keeping the tty open. So far I've
    just been living with the problem.

    Stuart
    --
    I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
    -- Daniel Boone

  5. Re: openssh refusing to shut if X has been used.

    On 2008-01-23, Stuart Barkley wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 22:09 -0500, Richard E. Silverman wrote:
    >
    >> ... is it possible that the X program is spawning some background job that
    >> persists?

    > I've also noticed this recently with gnome programs. In my case it is
    > dbus-launch which is hanging around keeping the tty open. So far I've
    > just been living with the problem.

    You can try redirecting stdin, stdout and stderr and see if that helps, eg
    "xterm >/dev/null &1".

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.