cygwin open-ssh passphrase - SSH

This is a discussion on cygwin open-ssh passphrase - SSH ; Hello. I am trying to use OpenSSH_4.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g which came with Cygwin on Windows Vista. I followed the instructions on sourceforge, and I can indeed do a "cvs log fred.c" and get what I want. However, there are two ...

  1. cygwin open-ssh passphrase

    Hello. I am trying to use OpenSSH_4.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g which came
    with Cygwin
    on Windows Vista.

    I followed the instructions on sourceforge, and I can indeed do a "cvs
    log fred.c" and
    get what I want. However, there are two problems:

    1. It always asks for a passphrase, even though I didn't enter a
    passphrase. Hitting
    enter makes it go away and let me have my data, but I want this
    process automated.

    2. I can't have an administrator command prompt when I do this.

    My CVS_RSH is set to ssh

    I tried a variety of things after searching on the internet.

    As per sourceforge instructions, I sent them my id_dsa.pub

    I tried copying this file to both authorized_keys and
    authorized_keys2, and that had no effect.

    I tried replacing my old identity file from another system with my
    id_dsa, but that had no effect.

    I tried starting "ssh-agent cvs" (which prints cvs info) and then "ssh-
    add", which comes back with:
    "Could not open a connection to your authentication agent".

    I didn't have this problem on my (very, very) old PC. However, when I
    tried copying the .ssh files
    from my old PC to my new laptop, I couldn't use CVS to access
    sourceforge (it asked for a
    password which I didn't remember), which is why I am repeating the
    install.

    Fear of getting ssh working again was one of the major things holding
    me back from upgrading
    any software for many years. I was right to be fearful, but I've run
    out of rope now that my old
    PC is physically dying (rebooting after a short time, BIOS getting
    scrambled, ethernet
    connection rarely working). Fear of gcc (actually newlib) not doing
    C89 compiles was another
    thing, and that fear also turned out to be well founded - bugs already
    reported to newlib.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks. Paul.

  2. Re: cygwin open-ssh passphrase

    On Dec 30, 10:52*pm, kerravon wrote:
    > 1. It always asks for a passphrase, even though I didn't enter a
    > passphrase. Hitting
    > enter makes it go away and let me have my data, but I want this
    > process automated.

    Problem solved. I just needed to rename the old Identity to Identityx
    and the ssh figured
    it out for itself. Even the administrator prompt works.

    Sorry to disturb you.

    BFN. Paul.

+ Reply to Thread