A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and egfirefox ? - SSH

This is a discussion on A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and egfirefox ? - SSH ; hi this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is used through ProxyCommand in ssh_config . Corkscrew has no mailing list as of writing. I am sure some SSH users here use it with corkscrew. I am having some ...

  1. A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and egfirefox ?

    hi

    this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is used
    through ProxyCommand in ssh_config . Corkscrew has no mailing list as
    of writing. I am sure some SSH users here use it with corkscrew.

    I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to get corkscrew
    working.

    I am using squid as http and https proxy. As a test, so
    127.0.0.1:3128 (squid`s default port is 3128)..

    As I understand it, I should be able to set up any browser or ftp
    client or whatever, to tunnel through the squid HTTPS proxy, and I use
    corkscrew to do it.

    I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    firefox, and it gets nowhere.

    usage: corkscrew
    [authfile]
    $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a

    I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs sites
    like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser.

    I tried this in ssh_config
    ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 %h %p ~/a.a

    then ssh sourceforge.net 443
    and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443

    but no luck

    I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.

  2. Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and eg firefox ?

    JH> hi this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is
    JH> used through ProxyCommand in ssh_config . Corkscrew has no
    JH> mailing list as of writing. I am sure some SSH users here use it
    JH> with corkscrew.

    JH> I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to get corkscrew
    JH> working.

    JH> I am using squid as http and https proxy. As a test, so
    JH> 127.0.0.1:3128 (squid`s default port is 3128)..

    JH> As I understand it, I should be able to set up any browser or ftp
    JH> client or whatever, to tunnel through the squid HTTPS proxy, and I
    JH> use corkscrew to do it.

    No. Corkscrew is a tool for establishing a single connection to a remote
    TCP port, through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT method. The
    proxied TCP stream is connected to the stdin/stdout of the corkscrew
    program.

    JH> I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    JH> firefox, and it gets nowhere.

    JH> usage: corkscrew
    JH> [authfile] $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a

    JH> I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs
    JH> sites like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser.

    The username/password is in case the *proxy* requires authentication to
    use it.

    JH> I tried this in ssh_config ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128
    JH> %h %p ~/a.a

    JH> then ssh sourceforge.net 443 and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443

    JH> but no luck

    JH> I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.

    And I have no idea what you're trying to do. sourceforge.net has no
    SSH server running on the standard port (22), and on port 443 it has what
    you would expect -- an https server. What do you expect to do with SSH in
    this context?

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and egfirefox ?

    On Dec 28, 4:38 am, "Richard E. Silverman" wrote:

    > JH> hi this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is
    > JH> used through ProxyCommand in ssh_config . Corkscrew has no
    > JH> mailing list as of writing. I am sure some SSH users here use it
    > JH> with corkscrew.
    >
    > JH> I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to get corkscrew
    > JH> working.
    >
    > JH> I am using squid as http and https proxy. As a test, so
    > JH> 127.0.0.1:3128 (squid`s default port is 3128)..
    >
    > JH> As I understand it, I should be able to set up any browser or ftp
    > JH> client or whatever, to tunnel through the squid HTTPS proxy, and I
    > JH> use corkscrew to do it.
    >
    > No. Corkscrew is a tool for establishing a single connection to a remote
    > TCP port, through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT method. The
    > proxied TCP stream is connected to the stdin/stdout of the corkscrew
    > program.
    >
    > JH> I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    > JH> firefox, and it gets nowhere.
    >
    > JH> usage: corkscrew
    > JH> [authfile] $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a
    >
    > JH> I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs
    > JH> sites like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser.
    >
    > The username/password is in case the *proxy* requires authentication to
    > use it.
    >
    > JH> I tried this in ssh_config ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128
    > JH> %h %p ~/a.a
    >
    > JH> then ssh sourceforge.net 443 and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443
    >
    > JH> but no luck
    >
    > JH> I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.
    >
    > And I have no idea what you're trying to do. sourceforge.net has no
    > SSH server running on the standard port (22), and on port 443 it has what
    > you would expect -- an https server. What do you expect to do with SSH in
    > this context?
    >
    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > r...@qoxp.net

    Was just trying to use corkscrew `cos it looks like a useful tool..
    Hoping to figure it out working forwards from instructions. That
    didn`t work. So I tried working backwards, but could not get it to
    start.

    What you wrote clarified it greatly, and I got it working for what it
    is meant to do..

    On a related note-
    I spoke to somebody who said he was tunneling SSH through HTTP proxy
    and did not need corkscrew.

    I will use the terms home and work for the sake of obvious
    illustration..As in one area is behind an http proxy, the other, one
    has administrative access over. (in reality I am experimenting in one
    location where I have full access). This person I spoke to did have a
    home-work situation..

    So,
    This guy I spoke to that said he did not need corkscrew to tunnel SSH
    through an HTTP PROXY. He was behind an HTTP Proxy that also did
    HTTPS (probably like most HTTP proxies). He said HTTPS is HTTP in
    SSH, and blind to what is in the SSH. So he would set up an SSH server
    at his home on port 443. And as far as the work HTTPS proxy was
    concerned, his SSH Server was just some HTTPS server.
    (I guess he would then tunnel whatever through the SSH connection.. I
    know how to do that).
    But I am wondering though, how would he have connected to his HTTPS
    Proxy, and told it to connect to his SSH server?

    Suppose it was a transparent HTTPS proxy, would
    $ssh mysshserverip -p 433
    would that do it? (I cannot test it since I am on XP and it has no
    free redirector for me to make squid a transparent proxy).

    Suppose it was not a transparent HTTPS proxy (this i can test).
    But how would I tell ssh to use a proxy?
    (presumably/perhaps without ProxyCommand - since I do not see why I
    should have to use an external command like Corkscrew to do it)..

    TIA

  4. Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and eg firefox ?

    >> writes:
    >>

    JH> hi this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is
    JH> used through ProxyCommand in ssh_config . Corkscrew has no
    JH> mailing list as of writing. I am sure some SSH users here use it
    JH> with corkscrew.
    >>

    JH> I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to get corkscrew
    JH> working.
    >>

    JH> I am using squid as http and https proxy. As a test, so
    JH> 127.0.0.1:3128 (squid`s default port is 3128)..
    >>

    JH> As I understand it, I should be able to set up any browser or ftp
    JH> client or whatever, to tunnel through the squid HTTPS proxy, and I
    JH> use corkscrew to do it.
    >> No. Corkscrew is a tool for establishing a single connection to a
    >> remote TCP port, through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT
    >> method. The proxied TCP stream is connected to the stdin/stdout of
    >> the corkscrew program.
    >>

    JH> I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    JH> firefox, and it gets nowhere.
    >>

    JH> usage: corkscrew
    JH> [authfile] $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a
    >>

    JH> I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs
    JH> sites like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser.
    >> The username/password is in case the *proxy* requires
    >> authentication to use it.
    >>

    JH> I tried this in ssh_config ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128
    JH> %h %p ~/a.a
    >>

    JH> then ssh sourceforge.net 443 and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443
    >>

    JH> but no luck
    >>

    JH> I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.
    >> And I have no idea what you're trying to do. sourceforge.net
    >> has no SSH server running on the standard port (22), and on port
    >> 443 it has what you would expect -- an https server. What do you
    >> expect to do with SSH in this context?
    >>
    >> -- Richard Silverman r...@qoxp.net

    JH> Was just trying to use corkscrew `cos it looks like a useful
    JH> tool.. Hoping to figure it out working forwards from
    JH> instructions. That didn`t work. So I tried working backwards, but
    JH> could not get it to start.

    JH> What you wrote clarified it greatly, and I got it working for what
    JH> it is meant to do..

    JH> On a related note- I spoke to somebody who said he was tunneling
    JH> SSH through HTTP proxy and did not need corkscrew.

    JH> I will use the terms home and work for the sake of obvious
    JH> illustration..As in one area is behind an http proxy, the other,
    JH> one has administrative access over. (in reality I am experimenting
    JH> in one location where I have full access). This person I spoke to
    JH> did have a home-work situation..

    JH> So, This guy I spoke to that said he did not need corkscrew to
    JH> tunnel SSH through an HTTP PROXY. He was behind an HTTP Proxy
    JH> that also did HTTPS (probably like most HTTP proxies). He said
    JH> HTTPS is HTTP in SSH, and blind to what is in the SSH.

    No; https is HTTP in TLS (SSL). SSH and SSL have absolutely nothing to do
    with one another; they are completely different protocols.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  5. Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , andeg firefox ?

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > >> writes:
    > >>

    > JH> hi this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is
    > JH> used through ProxyCommand in ssh_config . Corkscrew has no
    > JH> mailing list as of writing. I am sure some SSH users here use it
    > JH> with corkscrew.
    > >>

    > JH> I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to get corkscrew
    > JH> working.
    > >>

    > JH> I am using squid as http and https proxy. As a test, so
    > JH> 127.0.0.1:3128 (squid`s default port is 3128)..
    > >>

    > JH> As I understand it, I should be able to set up any browser or ftp
    > JH> client or whatever, to tunnel through the squid HTTPS proxy, and I
    > JH> use corkscrew to do it.
    > >> No. Corkscrew is a tool for establishing a single connection to a
    > >> remote TCP port, through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT
    > >> method. The proxied TCP stream is connected to the stdin/stdout of
    > >> the corkscrew program.
    > >>

    > JH> I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    > JH> firefox, and it gets nowhere.
    > >>

    > JH> usage: corkscrew
    > JH> [authfile] $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a
    > >>

    > JH> I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs
    > JH> sites like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser.
    > >> The username/password is in case the *proxy* requires
    > >> authentication to use it.
    > >>

    > JH> I tried this in ssh_config ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128
    > JH> %h %p ~/a.a
    > >>

    > JH> then ssh sourceforge.net 443 and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443
    > >>

    > JH> but no luck
    > >>

    > JH> I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.
    > >> And I have no idea what you're trying to do. sourceforge.net
    > >> has no SSH server running on the standard port (22), and on port
    > >> 443 it has what you would expect -- an https server. What do you
    > >> expect to do with SSH in this context?
    > >>
    > >> -- Richard Silverman r...@qoxp.net

    > JH> Was just trying to use corkscrew `cos it looks like a useful
    > JH> tool.. Hoping to figure it out working forwards from
    > JH> instructions. That didn`t work. So I tried working backwards, but
    > JH> could not get it to start.
    >
    > JH> What you wrote clarified it greatly, and I got it working for what
    > JH> it is meant to do..
    >

    > JH> On a related note- I spoke to somebody who said he was tunneling
    > JH> SSH through HTTP proxy and did not need corkscrew.
    >
    > JH> I will use the terms home and work for the sake of obvious
    > JH> illustration..As in one area is behind an http proxy, the other,
    > JH> one has administrative access over. (in reality I am experimenting
    > JH> in one location where I have full access). This person I spoke to
    > JH> did have a home-work situation..
    >
    > JH> So, This guy I spoke to that said he did not need corkscrew to
    > JH> tunnel SSH through an HTTP PROXY. He was behind an HTTP Proxy
    > JH> that also did HTTPS (probably like most HTTP proxies). He said
    > JH> HTTPS is HTTP in SSH, and blind to what is in the SSH.
    >
    > No; https is HTTP in TLS (SSL). SSH and SSL have absolutely nothing to do
    > with one another; they are completely different protocols.

    It's a very common confusion: it's aggravated by the minor library dependencies in many systems to install OpenSSL libraries to install OpenSSH.

    > JH> So he would set up an SSH server at his home on port 443. And as far as the
    > JH> work HTTPS proxy was concerned, his SSH Server was just some HTTPS
    > JH> server. (I guess he would then tunnel whatever through the SSH
    > JH> connection.. I know how to do that). But I am wondering though,
    > JH> how would he have connected to his HTTPS Proxy, and told it to
    > JH> connect to his SSH server?

    Proxies and tunneling have so many fascinating possibilities for oddball integrations that it's very, very difficult to deduce how some particularly clever person did it without asking them.

    > JH> Suppose it was a transparent HTTPS proxy, would $ssh mysshserverip
    > JH> -p 433 would that do it? (I cannot test it since I am on XP and it
    > JH> has no free redirector for me to make squid a transparent proxy).

    ??? You can do all sorts of fascinating redirection with CygWin and SSH tunneling, Squid proxies, etc.

  6. Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and egfirefox ?

    On Dec 28, 7:24*pm, "Richard E. Silverman" wrote:

> [...]
    > * * JH> use corkscrew to do it.
    > * * >> *No. *Corkscrew is a tool for establishing a single connection to a
    > * * >> remote TCP port, through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT
    > * * >> method. *The proxied TCP stream is connected to the stdin/stdout of
    > * * >> the corkscrew program.
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    > * * JH> firefox, and it gets nowhere.
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> usage: corkscrew
    > * * JH> [authfile] $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs
    > * * JH> sites like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser..
    > * * >> *The username/password is in case the *proxy* requires
    > * * >> authentication to use it.
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> I tried this in ssh_config ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128
    > * * JH> %h %p ~/a.a
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> then ssh sourceforge.net 443 and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> but no luck
    > * * >>
    > * * JH> I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.
    > * * >> *And I have no idea what you're trying to do. * sourceforge.net
    > * * >> has no SSH server running on the standard port (22), and on port
    > * * >> 443 it has what you would expect -- an https server. *What doyou
    > * * >> expect to do with SSH in this context?
    > * * >>
    > * * >> -- Richard Silverman r...@qoxp.net
    >
    > * * JH> Was just trying to use corkscrew `cos it looks like a useful
    > * * JH> tool.. *Hoping to figure it out working forwards from
    > * * JH> instructions. That didn`t work. So I tried working backwards, but
    > * * JH> could not get it to start.
    >
    > * * JH> What you wrote clarified it greatly, and I got it working for what
    > * * JH> it is meant to do..
    >
    > * * JH> On a related note- I spoke to somebody who said he was tunneling
    > * * JH> SSH through HTTP proxy and did not need corkscrew.
    >
    > * * JH> I will use the terms home and work for the sake of obvious
    > * * JH> illustration..As in one area is behind an http proxy, the other,
    > * * JH> one has administrative access over. (in reality I am experimenting
    > * * JH> in one location where I have full access). *This person I spoke to
    > * * JH> did have a home-work situation..
    >
    > * * JH> So, This guy I spoke to that said he did not need corkscrew to
    > * * JH> tunnel SSH through an HTTP PROXY. *He was behind an HTTP Proxy
    > * * JH> that also did HTTPS (probably like most HTTP proxies). *He said
    > * * JH> HTTPS is HTTP in SSH, and blind to what is in the SSH.
    >
    > No; https is HTTP in TLS (SSL). *SSH and SSL have absolutely nothing to do
    > with one another; they are completely different protocols.

    thanks again

  7. Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and egfirefox ?

    On Dec 29 2007, 10:38*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> [...]

    > > * * JH> work HTTPS proxy was concerned, hisSSHServer was just some HTTPS
    > > * * JH> server. *(I guess he would then tunnel whatever through theSSH
    > > * * JH> connection.. I know how to do that). *But I am wondering though,
    > > * * JH> how would he have connected to his HTTPS Proxy, and told it to
    > > * * JH> connect to hisSSHserver?

    > Proxies and tunneling have so many fascinating possibilities for oddball integrations that it's very, very difficult to deduce how some particularly clever person did it without asking them.
    >
    > > * * JH> Suppose it was a transparent HTTPS proxy, would $sshmysshserverip
    > > * * JH> -p 433 would that do it? (I cannot test it since I am on XP and it
    > > * * JH> has no free redirector for me to make squid a transparent proxy).

    > ??? You can do all sorts of fascinating redirection with CygWin andSSHtunneling, Squid proxies, etc.-

    Richard is obviously right. This guy certainly must have confused some
    concepts and turned his hypothesis into a delusion that he was sure
    of.

    He got confused(on a few counts infact). I just realised what he must
    have done.

    He did not mention installing an HTTP proxy like squid. I reckon he
    did not install one, So I reckon he did ssh -D , so his ssh client
    and ssh server were acting as a SOCKS proxy.
    He prob was not behind a non transparent HTTP proxy.
    Perhaps some websites were blacklisted at a firewall rather than an
    HTTP proxy.
    Hence he got to his SSH [socks proxy] server - without corkscrew.

    This kind of thing
    http://lifehacker.com/software/ssh/g...oxy-237227.php

+ Reply to Thread