sshd[6711]: Failed none - SSH

This is a discussion on sshd[6711]: Failed none - SSH ; I get this error and the config file is not set to display verbose...? sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2...

  1. sshd[6711]: Failed none

    I get this error and the config file is not set to display verbose...?

    sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2

  2. Re: sshd[6711]: Failed none

    Solaris 10
    "Sunspot" wrote in message
    >I get this error and the config file is not set to display verbose...?
    >
    > sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2

  3. Re: sshd[6711]: Failed none

    Sunspot> I get this error and the config file is not set to display
    Sunspot> verbose...? sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from
    Sunspot> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2

    It's not an error. SSH clients usually send an authentication request
    with the method "none" at the beginning of the user authentication phase
    of the protocol, as a way of eliciting the list of acceptable methods from
    the server in the response. It always fails.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  4. Re: sshd[6711]: Failed none

    Why does it not on all systems. The config file is set to non-verbose yet I
    still get a console message.

    "Richard E. Silverman" wrote in message

    > Sunspot> I get this error and the config file is not set to display
    > Sunspot> verbose...? sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from
    > Sunspot> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2
    >
    > It's not an error. SSH clients usually send an authentication request
    > with the method "none" at the beginning of the user authentication phase
    > of the protocol, as a way of eliciting the list of acceptable methods from
    > the server in the response. It always fails.
    >
    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

  5. Re: sshd[6711]: Failed none

    "Sunspot" writes:

    >Solaris 10
    >"Sunspot" wrote in message
    >>I get this error and the config file is not set to display verbose...?
    >>
    >> sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2

    Is there a question here? Yes, everyone gets those. There is an ssh attack
    going on out there, where various random names/root get tried and attempts
    made to guess teh password.

  6. Re: sshd[6711]: Failed none

    On 2007-12-21, Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > Sunspot> I get this error and the config file is not set to display
    > Sunspot> verbose...? sshd[6711]: Failed none for user1 from
    > Sunspot> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 47949 ssh2
    >
    > It's not an error. SSH clients usually send an authentication request
    > with the method "none" at the beginning of the user authentication phase
    > of the protocol, as a way of eliciting the list of acceptable methods from
    > the server in the response. It always fails.

    Nitpick: it fails unless the connection requires no authentication, eg
    if the account has an empty password (and the server has been configured
    to allow this). Example: anonymous CVS-over-SSH servers.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread