strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh - SSH

This is a discussion on strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh - SSH ; If I'm on system a as user a and I ssh (using X tunneling via ssh -XC) into system b as user b and run firefox as user b so that firefox is displayed on system a over X, then ...

  1. strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh

    If I'm on system a as user a and I ssh (using X tunneling via ssh -XC)
    into system b as user b and run firefox as user b so that firefox
    is displayed on system a over X, then if I run firefox on system a as
    user a (from the gui) firefox starts with user b's bookmarks and other
    contextual info (cookies, etc.)!

    Why is this happening?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "She tells me that she likes me very much,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % but when I try to touch, she makes it

  2. Re: strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh

    Randy Yates wrote:
    > If I'm on system a as user a and I ssh (using X tunneling via ssh -XC)
    > into system b as user b and run firefox as user b so that firefox
    > is displayed on system a over X, then if I run firefox on system a as
    > user a (from the gui) firefox starts with user b's bookmarks and other
    > contextual info (cookies, etc.)!
    >
    > Why is this happening?

    Pure guess here, but... It is possible that rather than "running"
    firefox on 'a', it is first checking the X server to see if an instance
    is already running. If so, it can then send the running firefox an X
    command to "start a new window".

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh

    On 2007-11-20, Darren Dunham wrote:
    > Randy Yates wrote:
    >> If I'm on system a as user a and I ssh (using X tunneling via ssh -XC)
    >> into system b as user b and run firefox as user b so that firefox
    >> is displayed on system a over X, then if I run firefox on system a as
    >> user a (from the gui) firefox starts with user b's bookmarks and other
    >> contextual info (cookies, etc.)!
    >>
    >> Why is this happening?

    > Pure guess here, but... It is possible that rather than "running"
    > firefox on 'a', it is first checking the X server to see if an instance
    > is already running. If so, it can then send the running firefox an X
    > command to "start a new window".

    I can't reproduce this whether I have a local firefox first or not
    - I get proper separate processes with their own attributes.

    Is it possible they are using the same ~/.mozilla directory somehow?

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  4. Re: strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh

    all mail refused writes:

    > On 2007-11-20, Darren Dunham wrote:
    >> Randy Yates wrote:
    >>> If I'm on system a as user a and I ssh (using X tunneling via ssh -XC)
    >>> into system b as user b and run firefox as user b so that firefox
    >>> is displayed on system a over X, then if I run firefox on system a as
    >>> user a (from the gui) firefox starts with user b's bookmarks and other
    >>> contextual info (cookies, etc.)!
    >>>
    >>> Why is this happening?

    >> Pure guess here, but... It is possible that rather than "running"
    >> firefox on 'a', it is first checking the X server to see if an instance
    >> is already running. If so, it can then send the running firefox an X
    >> command to "start a new window".

    > I can't reproduce this whether I have a local firefox first or not
    > - I get proper separate processes with their own attributes.
    >
    > Is it possible they are using the same ~/.mozilla directory somehow?

    Not at all possible - they're on different machines! (No network file
    systems are in place or anything like that.)

    This is version 2.0.0.7.
    --
    % Randy Yates % "How's life on earth?
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % ... What is it worth?"

  5. Re: strange firefox behavior with X tunneling via ssh

    In article
    ddunham@taos.com (Darren Dunham) writes:
    >Randy Yates wrote:
    >> If I'm on system a as user a and I ssh (using X tunneling via ssh -XC)
    >> into system b as user b and run firefox as user b so that firefox
    >> is displayed on system a over X, then if I run firefox on system a as
    >> user a (from the gui) firefox starts with user b's bookmarks and other
    >> contextual info (cookies, etc.)!
    >>
    >> Why is this happening?

    >Pure guess here, but... It is possible that rather than "running"
    >firefox on 'a', it is first checking the X server to see if an instance
    >is already running. If so, it can then send the running firefox an X
    >command to "start a new window".

    From my experience, this is indeed the standard behaviour of firefox -
    most annoying even in less complex situations than the one described by
    Randy, e.g. if you just need to run separate local and a remote
    firefoxes as the *same* user (e.g. because the remote will be able to
    access servers that the local will not). You get a separate indication
    that this is what is happening by way of the "subsequent" firefox
    exiting immediately after opening the new window/tab, while a "real"
    firefox will not do that of course.

    ISTR that I found that giving it an option argument made it change this
    behaviour and actually start a new, separate process, but I think this
    may just have been an artifact of the (possibly FreeBSD-specific)
    wrapper script - with a current FreeBSD install, that only makes it open
    a new window instead of a new tab (i.e. if you haven't configured it to
    open new pages in tabs, there will be no difference).

    Of course to be fair the behaviour is quite convenient in many cases too
    (just say 'firefox ' and it opens in the existing browser), but it
    sure would be nice to be able to turn it off - and there may well be a
    "standard" way to do that, but for some reason I can't find the man
    page...

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

+ Reply to Thread