openssh two factor authentication - SSH

This is a discussion on openssh two factor authentication - SSH ; Hi I have one server (ubuntu server 7.04, openssh) and I would like to be asked about password and then an extra question. The extra question should be somthing the user knows and changes with time (example today is 31-10-2007 ...

  1. openssh two factor authentication

    Hi

    I have one server (ubuntu server 7.04, openssh) and I would like to be asked about password and then an extra question.
    The extra question should be somthing the user knows and changes with time (example today is 31-10-2007 so the user
    would type in 61 (2*day-1 2*31-1 = 61)

    Thorir
    Iceland

  2. Re: openssh two factor authentication

    Thorir Magnusson writes:

    >Hi

    >I have one server (ubuntu server 7.04, openssh) and I would like to be asked about password and then an extra question.
    >The extra question should be somthing the user knows and changes with time (example today is 31-10-2007 so the user
    >would type in 61 (2*day-1 2*31-1 = 61)

    And this is supposed to accomplish exactly what? You think maybe an invalid
    user does not know the date, then being Martians? Maybe if you told us what
    you want rather than your solution we could give good advice.

    >Thorir
    >Iceland

  3. Re: openssh two factor authentication

    Hi
    Thorir Magnusson wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have one server (ubuntu server 7.04, openssh) and I would like to be
    > asked about password and then an extra question. The extra question should
    > be somthing the user knows and changes with time (example today is
    > 31-10-2007 so the user would type in 61 (2*day-1 2*31-1 = 61)

    Well I suggest you want to make the ssh-server more secure. The normal way
    to do this is to use dsa-keys and use passwords for the keys. In this case
    I don't know how to crack the system.

    To implement your way, you could set in /etc/paswd the shell to a program
    that ask the second question and open a shell if the answer is right. But
    be careful because this allows Portforwarding and I guess the call of
    other commands :-( in the worstcase /bin/bash :-(((

    Niels

  4. Re: openssh two factor authentication

    On 2007-10-31, Thorir Magnusson wrote:

    > I have one server (ubuntu server 7.04, openssh) and I would like to be asked about password and then an extra question.
    > The extra question should be somthing the user knows and changes with time (example today is 31-10-2007 so the user
    > would type in 61 (2*day-1 2*31-1 = 61)

    Today's actually christmas because oct31 == dec25.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

+ Reply to Thread