cannot start sshd on cygwin- win xp - SSH

This is a discussion on cannot start sshd on cygwin- win xp - SSH ; jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk schrieb: > a selection of all the error message I am getting. Messing around > trying to start it. I'm not really sure, but I think there was something special 'installing' sshd on cygwin. There has to be added ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: cannot start sshd on cygwin- win xp

    jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk schrieb:
    > a selection of all the error message I am getting. Messing around
    > trying to start it.

    I'm not really sure, but I think there was something special
    'installing' sshd on cygwin. There has to be added a special user etc.
    But there's a programm called 'ssh-host-config' which, if I recall
    right, does everything needed.
    http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

    guy

  2. Re: cannot start sshd on cygwin- win xp

    On 8 Nov, 15:56, Guy Simonow wrote:
    > jameshanle...@yahoo.co.uk schrieb:
    >
    > > a selection of all the error message I am getting. Messing around
    > > trying to start it.

    > I'm not really sure, but I think there was something special
    > 'installing' sshd on cygwin. There has to be added a special user etc.
    > But there's a programm called 'ssh-host-config' which, if I recall
    > right, does everything needed.http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
    >
    > guy

    I used that page. But had the problem. Yet it was fine on another
    machine.

    Maybe the win xp on the problem machine needs a win xp repair. But
    anyhow, I wasn`t planning on installing sshd as a service, and even if
    I did need sshd to run every time, then like any program, you can do
    that.
    Could start cygwin automatically, it starts the bash shell, and I
    could put a line in the file ".bashrc" to execute sshd. It`s like
    DOS`s autoexec.bat but for bash.

    reminds me, I did have a problem with the machine where it shutdown
    suddenly. Event viewer showed a service starting beforehand. I
    disabled or removed that service and the comp was fine again.

    reminds me again of a comp I saw where an application would not
    install. It used installshield, I reinstalled installshield, but it
    didn`t help. A win xp repair or win xp reinstall fixed it.

    On the machine that worked, I did get an error about /var/empty and
    did have to do chown on /var/empty changing the owner to whoever the
    windows/cygwin user is that started sshd. Similarly, only that user
    can log in (though maybe sshd-add or whatever can add users and change
    that).

    Without doing the sshd-host-config thing. If I had just tried to run
    sshd, I would not have even been able to run it. This problem I
    described is that it won`t start as a service. But it will run
    normally if just executed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2