confusing dynamic port forwarding problem - SSH

This is a discussion on confusing dynamic port forwarding problem - SSH ; I have got a linuxbox and a laptop running OS X. To read mail with thunderbird on my laptop not only at home, but also when i am outside, i would like to use ssh in the following way: In ...

  1. confusing dynamic port forwarding problem

    I have got a linuxbox and a laptop running OS X. To read mail with
    thunderbird on my laptop not only at home, but also when i am outside, i
    would like to use ssh in the following way:

    In thunderbird i configure a socks 5 proxy as
    localhost:8088

    Now, without starting ssh thunderbird can not connect to the mailserver.
    But when i use
    ssh -D 8088 localhost

    this works as i expect.

    At home i can also use
    ssh -D 8088 homelinux

    where homelinux is the dynamic ipadress of my linuxbox at home. This
    works too but is unnecessarily complicated.

    From the outside i try
    ssh -D 8088 homelinux

    now, something confusing is happening: I get a ssh-connection to my
    linuxbox at home, but thunderbird can not connect to the mailserver. It
    is simply timed out. The same happens when i use Psi (a Jabber client)
    and configure it to use port 8088 as socksproxy. Maybe there is
    something i misunderstand in the concept of using ssh as socks proxy?

    I hope, my english is not to bad for you to understand my problem. Thank
    you for any hint.
    Wolfgang

  2. Re: confusing dynamic port forwarding problem

    i found the origin of the problem.

    In the outside network where i tried to connect to my mailserver, there
    was no dnsserver and the outgoing dns-port closed. So the question is,
    what the best way to solve this problem is. I could
    - write the adress to my /etc/hosts file (works, but is this good?)
    - tunnel port 53 (does it work?)

    Wolfgang

+ Reply to Thread