Example of Layer 3 VPN tunneling with openssh - SSH

This is a discussion on Example of Layer 3 VPN tunneling with openssh - SSH ; I've recently set up a Layer 3 VPN tunnel between my home and work with openssh. I found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN to be a good starting point. However my situation differs from that described in this document because my company's firewall only ...

  1. Example of Layer 3 VPN tunneling with openssh

    I've recently set up a Layer 3 VPN tunnel between my home and work
    with openssh. I found

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN

    to be a good starting point. However my situation differs from that
    described in this document because my company's firewall only allows
    outgoing ssh connections and because my work computer has a public IP
    address. I managed to get the tunneling to work by installing a
    second network card at work. The method and the scripts to set up the
    tunnel are described in

    http://charles.karney.info/tunnel

    --
    Charles Karney

  2. Re: Example of Layer 3 VPN tunneling with openssh

    Charles Karney writes:

    >I've recently set up a Layer 3 VPN tunnel between my home and work
    >with openssh. I found

    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN

    >to be a good starting point. However my situation differs from that
    >described in this document because my company's firewall only allows
    >outgoing ssh connections and because my work computer has a public IP
    >address. I managed to get the tunneling to work by installing a
    >second network card at work. The method and the scripts to set up the
    >tunnel are described in

    Lets see, your company has a policy. You have installed a hardware device
    to get around that policy. And you hope to remain employed by that company?
    People have been jailed for similar actions.

    > http://charles.karney.info/tunnel

    >--
    >Charles Karney

  3. Re: Example of Layer 3 VPN tunneling with openssh

    On Oct 14, 1:19 am, Unruh wrote:
    > Charles Karney writes:
    > >I managed to get the tunneling to work by installing a
    > >second network card at work.

    > Lets see, your company has a policy. You have installed a hardware device
    > to get around that policy.

    I'm not sure what you're driving at here. Suffice it to say that I'm
    not using hardware to circumvent the firewall. The additional network
    card is on the internal network and subject to the firewall's
    restrictions.

+ Reply to Thread