Openssh server SSH2 rekey? - SSH

This is a discussion on Openssh server SSH2 rekey? - SSH ; Hi I am unable to make the sshd initiate a SSH2 rekey. Is this supported ? I always thought that the KeyRegenerationInterval option would work for both Ssh1 and Ssh2 but seems not to be the case. I am trying ...

  1. Openssh server SSH2 rekey?

    Hi

    I am unable to make the sshd initiate a SSH2 rekey. Is this
    supported ? I always thought that the KeyRegenerationInterval option
    would work for both Ssh1 and Ssh2 but seems not to be the case. I am
    trying to test some scenarios and am setting the value to be a small
    interval like 1 minute or 5 minute and don't see any evidence of the
    rekey happening even in the debug mode. Is there some other option to
    use?

    Thanks in advance,
    CV

    PS: Using latest 4.7p1 on Solaris 9.

  2. Re: Openssh server SSH2 rekey?

    On 2007-10-10, Chet Vora wrote:
    > I am unable to make the sshd initiate a SSH2 rekey. Is this
    > supported ? I always thought that the KeyRegenerationInterval option
    > would work for both Ssh1 and Ssh2 but seems not to be the case.

    KeyRegenerationInterval is how often the SSHv1 ephemeral server key is
    regenerated. It has no effect on SSHv2.

    > I am
    > trying to test some scenarios and am setting the value to be a small
    > interval like 1 minute or 5 minute and don't see any evidence of the
    > rekey happening even in the debug mode. Is there some other option to
    > use?

    There's no option to force it on the server side. You can force it on the
    client side with the RekeyLimit option, although that takes a byte count
    not a time interval. You can also initiate a rekey using the "~R"
    escape sequence on the client.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.