scp and password problem - SSH

This is a discussion on scp and password problem - SSH ; Hi, In a script on a master machine .. I generate ssh keys. I then want to copy them to several machines.using .......... su - user1 -c "scp -o stricthostkeychecking=no -q -oCiphers=blowfish- cbc ~/.ssh/authorized_keys user1@abc1machine:~/.ssh /authorized_keys" su - user1 -c ...

  1. scp and password problem

    Hi,

    In a script on a master machine .. I generate ssh keys.

    I then want to copy them to several machines.using ..........

    su - user1 -c "scp -o stricthostkeychecking=no -q -oCiphers=blowfish-
    cbc ~/.ssh/authorized_keys user1@abc1machine:~/.ssh/authorized_keys"

    su - user1 -c "scp -o stricthostkeychecking=no -q -oCiphers=blowfish-
    cbc ~/.ssh/authorized_keys user1@abc2machine:~/.ssh/authorized_keys"

    su - user1 -c "scp -o stricthostkeychecking=no -q -oCiphers=blowfish-
    cbc ~/.ssh/authorized_keys user1@abc3machine:~/.ssh/authorized_keys"

    When I test this on my local machine it says

    user1@abc1machine's password:

    HOWEVER When I test it on the target machines
    i just get
    password:

    Why is this ?

  2. Re: scp and password problem

    In article <1191599046.808077.30350@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.co m>
    gerry.brennan@gmail.com writes:

    >When I test this on my local machine it says
    >
    >user1@abc1machine's password:
    >
    >HOWEVER When I test it on the target machines
    >i just get
    >password:
    >
    >Why is this ?

    IIRC, it's due to "password" vs "keyboard-interactive"
    (a.k.a. challenge-response) authentication being used. In most setups
    they amount to pretty much the same thing, the relevant difference here
    is that for "password" the local client (i.e. 'ssh') does the password
    prompting, whereas for "keyboard-interactive" it's the remote server (in
    practice normally a PAM module there rather than sshd itself) that does
    it. I don't remember which of them is using which prompt, and you should
    probably not rely on the prompts indicating one or the other anyway.

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

+ Reply to Thread