We are trying to configure squid and samba as a test rig to test
software that will run behind authenticated proxies in a Windows
environment. We run up-to-date samba as a matter of course for our
own local PCs on NetBSD servers, and have used squid for testing proxy
service with wpad etc. over a period of years. Just to be sure, I
rebuilt both samba and squid from source. Our principal aim is just
to test the NTLM capability of our own software, but we seem to be
falling down at an early stage with winbindd.

wbinfo -t results in:

checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
error code was NT_STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR (0xc00000e5)
Could not check secret

and wbinfo -a root%password results in:

plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user root%password with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO (0xc00000da)
error messsage was: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
Could not authenticate user root with challenge/response

Clearly I'm missing something basic, but I don't want to deluge this
group with all my settings. Can anyone advise what extra information
might help them suggest where we're going wrong?

Samba and squid seem to work fine otherwise.

--
Steve Blinkhorn