Blocking iphiding sites - squid

This is a discussion on Blocking iphiding sites - squid ; Hi Everyone, In my Redhat linux 9 system, I am using Squid as proxy. Using squidguard I used to block the unwanted sites. But some users are still accessing the blocked sites using some Iphiding sites(example: hideme.com). Apart from blocking ...

  1. Blocking iphiding sites

    Hi Everyone,

    In my Redhat linux 9 system, I am using Squid as proxy. Using
    squidguard I used to block the unwanted sites. But some users are
    still accessing the blocked sites using some
    Iphiding sites(example: hideme.com).
    Apart from blocking the ip hiding sites, is there any other way to
    stop the users from accessing the blocked sites.

    Is there any ports I can block ,
    which is used by the iphiding sites. Any specific ports are used by
    them?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Blocking iphiding sites

    I don't know how you would do it in Squid, but we use SafeSquid for
    proxying and content filtering, and this is how we can do it in
    SafeSquid. Maybe you can find a parallel solution.

    There are multiple methods of blocking access to unwanted sites in
    SafeSquid:

    1. Keyword Filter:
    SafeSquid can analyze and identify the category a website belongs to
    in real-time, by looking for specific words and expressions contained
    in the meta tags, title and body of a web page. A list of the words
    and expressions, usually found in the web page of the category of site
    that you want to block, is defined and alloted a score. SafeSquid
    calculates the total score of the words found in a web page, and if
    the total score exceeds a defined threshold limit, the page is
    identified as belonging to an unwanted category and blocked.
    Detailed description for keyword filtering can be viewed from
    http://www.safesquid.com/html/viewtopic.php?t=2007

    If users try to access a website that is blocked by Keyword Filter,
    through an external anonymous proxy or tunnel proxy, SafeSquid's
    Keyword Filter will still be able to block it, since the total score
    of the site remains the same. Such proxies can be used to bypass URL
    Filters, but cannot bypass Keyword Filters.

    You can also add Keyword Filter rules for identifying anonymous proxy
    sites, and block access to them.

    2. URL Blacklist:
    We use the URL Blacklist database from http://www.urlblacklist.com ,
    to block users from accessing unwanted categories of websites. They
    offer more than 70 categories. One of the category is 'Proxy' which is
    a database of websites with proxies to bypass filters.

    Hope this helps you.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread